Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
- Monday, April 21st – The Earth Day Film Festival is free from 2 to 5pm at the State Department. Happy Earth Day, y’all.
- Monday, April 21st – AND you can catch free movie screenings with Movie Mondays at Dodge City, this time with music documentaries
“Made of Stone” (The Stone Roses) and “Joy Division.”
- Monday, April 21st – Kick up your movie game with $2 screenings of a “Frozen” sing-a-long, “The Monuments Men,” and “300: Rise of an Empire” at Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse.
- Tuesday, April 22nd – And the Arlington Cinema $2 movies continue tonight with “Lone Survivor,” “Inside Llewyn Davis” and another “Frozen” sing-a-long.
- Tuesday, April 22nd – And there’s a free screening of “Millhouse: A White Comedy” and a few local shorts thanks to Bloombars.
- Friday, April 25th – AND Union Market’s drive-in is backwith a screening of “Frozen.” (You know, in case you missed it twice at Arlington Cinema.) Each car’s admission is 10 bones but if you split it between multiple people in your car that’s like nuffin’!
- Monday, April 21st – It’s Heavy Metal Monday at Satellite Room. It’s heavy metal everyday if you’re doing it right.
- Monday, April 21st – Record Store Day continues (not really, but you should go to a record store whenever, not just one day a year) at SMASH with an in-store show with Bastard Cult, Pure Disgust and The Sniffs. It’s not entirely free (there’s a $5 suggested donation) but if you’re in the mood for a punk show, try this on for size.
- Monday, April 21st – And if you head over to The Kennedy Center you can catch the U.S. Air Force’s jazz ensemble fo’ free.
- Monday, April 21st – AND you can catch My Darling Clementine at Hill Country BBQ fo’ free, too.
- Tuesday, April 22nd – And there’s a free stand-up variety show and game show over at Nick’s Riverside Grill.
- Tuesday, April 22nd – AND there’s free karaoke at Zeba Bar.
- Tuesday, April 22nd – And if you want to grab the mic or check out some local talent, Gypsy Sally’s hosting a free open mic night with drink specials.
- Tuesday, April 22nd – The Brixton’s got its own comedy show happening every Tuesday night. They’ve even got drink specials. Sweet.
- Tuesday, April 22nd – More laughs? Head to Vendetta for their underground comedy night.
- Wednesday, April 23rd – It’s Wednesday so you know that means WONDERLAND WEDNESDAYS over at Wonderland Ballroom. Up tonight: The Wonderland Circus.
- Wednesday, April 23rd – ANNNNND there’s a Job Hunt Happy Hour at The Big Hunt. Network yer li’l heart out and if you’re one of the first 150 people there, you get free beer. Whaddup.
- Wednesday, April 23rd – Celebrate Wednesdays with Hump Day at Mova Lounge including music, dancing, open mic sessions, spoken word, burlesque, screenings, live performances, DJs, karaoke, themed nights… essentially everything.
- Wednesday, April 23rd – And there’s always the free Underground Comedy Show at The Big Hunt.
- Wednesday, April 23rd – If you’re in the mood to take the mic yerself, Hill Country BBQ’s got free live band karaoke.
- Wednesday, April 23rd – There’s trivia at Bier Baron Tavern, complete with mystery drink specials.
- Thursday, April 24th – And our very own Svetlana Legetic kicks off POV Live, a cocktail and DJ night at W Hotel.
- Thursday, April 24th – Or you can see Drymill Road play Hill Country for free.
- Thursday, April 24th – If you feel like singing, git you some karaoke at Sticky Rice.
- Thursday, April 24th – No? Feel like dancin’? Try Patty Boom Boom’s ’95 Live.
- Friday, April 25th – There’s also COALBXX, DC9’s indie dance party with $2 drinks. Nothing not to love.
- Friday, April 25th – And you can always keep up the dancing at glittHER, a monthly women’s LGBTQxyz dance party at Zeba Bar.
- Friday, April 25th – And if you’re looking for a live show tonight, The Hamilton’s got a free performance by Moonshine Society.
- Friday, April 25th – There’s also Take 5! An Evening with Ella over at the American Art Museum featuring The Bohemian Caverns Jazz Orchestra celebrating Ella Fitzgerald’s birthday.
- Saturday, April 26th – Then get turnt up at Penn Social’s Saturntday Party with DJ Lion L.
- Saturday, April 26th – Orrrrrr keep dancing at Red Rocks with Diamond D and Sammy Needlz.
- Tuesday, April 22nd – Did you know there’s beer pong over at Penn Social? There’s beer pong over at Penn Social.
- Tuesday, April 23rd – Chow down on $2 tacos and $4 margaritas at El Centro D.F. AND they now have a queer happy hour on the roof with food and drink specials. Sweet.
- Thursday, April 24th– And if you swing back to Penn Social on Thursday you can catch Saranac’s Single Malt Party with drink specials.
- Friday, April 25th – AND there’s a launch party at 1776 for NOURI, the healthy snack bar for a good cause. RSVP required, preferably by April 22nd.
- Now – Sunday, May 18th – Oh hey, it’s time for another NEXT exhibition at Corcoran. Check out the next wave of artistic talent, mmk?
- Monday, April 21st – Speaking of theatre, there’s a Shakespeare-themed trivia night over at The Brixton.
- Saturday, April 26th – This afternoon, the George Washington University-based Global Language Network is throwing G-Fest 2014, a big ole melting pot of a celebration of DC’s diversity. There will be food, language lessons, performances, a raffle where you can win cool experiences around the city, and other fun stuff.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga at Union Arts! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Tuesday, April 22nd – VIDA Fitness instructors will lead free workout classes each Tuesday throughout April at The Park at City Center. Obviously this is a score.
- Tuesday, April 22nd – And you can get in even more yoga at the Georgetown Public Library with free lunch hour yoga class at noon.
- Wednesday, April 23rd – And there’s a free 6K walk for water and it’s free of charge to register. Raise awareness, get exercise, be a great human being in general.
- Saturday, April 26th – AND there’s a free 5K run in Anacostia Park to raise awareness for energy consumption.
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.