Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
- Monday, April 14 – Kick up your movie game with $2 screenings of “The Wolf of Wall Street” and a “Frozen” sing-a-long at Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse.
- Tuesday, April 15th – And the Arlington Cinema $2 movies continue tonight with “12 Years a Slave” and another “Frozen” sing-a-long.
- Thursday, April 17th – Then head on up to Mazza Gallery for the DC International Film Festival.
- Friday, April 18th – AND Union Market’s drive-in movies return this Friday with a screening of “National Lampoon’s Vacation.” Each car’s admission is 0 bones but if you split it between multiple people in your car that’s like nuffin’!
- Monday, April 14th – Hip-hop duo Native Sun play The Kennedy Center tonight and you gotta pay zero bucks to see ‘em.
- Tuesday, April 15th – On a more somber note, The Kennedy Center’s offering a free Boston Public Quartet performance in remembering of the Boston Marathon bombings.
- Tuesday, April 15th – And you can head on over to Anacostia Arts Center for a free Gay Men’s Chorus show.
- Tuesday, April 15th – And there’s a free stand-up variety show and game show over at Nick’s Riverside Grill.
- Tuesday, April 15th – AND there’s free karaoke at Zeba Bar.
- Tuesday, April 15th – And if you want to grab the mic or check out some local talent, Gypsy Sally’s hosting a free open mic night with drink specials.
- Tuesday, April 15th – The Brixton’s got its own comedy show happening every Tuesday night. They’ve even got drink specials. Sweet.
- Tuesday, April 15th – More laughs? Head to Vendetta for their underground comedy night.
- Wednesday, April 16th – It’s Wednesday so you know that means WONDERLAND WEDNESDAYS over at Wonderland Ballroom.
- Wednesday, April 16th– AND Satellite Room’s now hosting a Wu-Tang Wednesdays DJ night.
- Wednesday, April 16th – Celebrate Wednesdays with Hump Day at Mova Lounge including music, dancing, open mic sessions, spoken word, burlesque, screenings, live performances, DJs, karaoke, themed nights… essentially everything.
- Wednesday, April 16th – And there’s always the free Underground Comedy Show at The Big Hunt.
- Wednesday, April 16th – If you’re in the mood to take the mic yerself, Hill Country BBQ’s got free live band karaoke.
- Wednesday, April 16th – There’s trivia at Bier Baron Tavern, complete with mystery drink specials.
- Wednesday, April 16th – OR get dancin’ at Doner Bistro’s Das German party.
- Wednesday, April 16th – Or head on down to H for Little Miss Whiskey’s Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
- Thursday, April 17th – Or you can get dancin’ at Little Miss Whiskey’s Club 90.
- Thursday, April 17th – If you feel like singing, git you some karaoke at Sticky Rice.
- Thursday, April 17th – No? Back to dancin’? Try Patty Boom Boom’s ’95 Live.
- Friday, April 18th – There’s also COALBXX, DC9’s indie dance party with $2 drinks. Nothing not to love.
- Tuesday, April 15th – Did you know there’s beer pong over at Penn Social? There’s beer pong over at Penn Social.
- Tuesday, April 15th – Chow down on $2 tacos and $4 margaritas at El Centro D.F. AND they now have a queer happy hour on the roof with food and drink specials. Sweet.
- Wednesday, April 16th – And not necessarily free but pretty cool, half your $$$ spent at Petworth Citizen benefits Lincoln’s Cottage in celebration of D.C. Emancipation Day.
- Now – Sunday, May 18th – Oh hey, it’s time for another NEXT exhibition at Corcoran. Check out the next wave of artistic talent, mmk?
- Monday, April 14th – Sunday, April 20th – And welcome to Washington Theatre Week! All week you can catch discounted, free and pay-what-you-can performances around town.
- Monday, April 14th – Speaking of theatre, there’s a Shakespeare-themed trivia night over at The Brixton.
- Thursday, April 17th – Let’s keep that theatre train a-rollin’ with The Kennedy Center’s free showcase of selections from theAmerican College Theatre Festival.
- Thursday, April 17th – And head to Malmaison for the launch party of A Tourist of Saints, their newest photography exhibit.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Tuesday, April 14th – VIDA Fitness instructors will lead free workout classes each Tuesday throughout April at The Park at City Center. Obviously this is a score.
- Tuesday, April 14th – And you can get in even more yoga at the Georgetown Public Library with free lunch hour yoga class at noon.
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga at Union Arts! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.