Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3spu and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week: MOVIES!
- Monday, April 7th – Check out $2 screenings of “The Nutjob” and “Wolf of Wall Street” at Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse.
- Tuesday, April 8th – And the Arlington Cinema $2 movies continue tonight with “American Hustle” and “Her.”
- Saturday, April 12th – And there’s a free DCJCC screening and discussion of local filmmaker’s new documentary on Julius Rosenwald, Jewish philanthropist and civil rights activist.
- Monday, April 7th – Might we recommend Blood at the Root over at The Kennedy Center? The Open Mic: Hip-Hop Festival rages on (with some incredible programming like this).
- Monday, April 7th – And you can hit up Heavy Metal Mondays at Satellite Room tonight for specials and head banging. \m/
- Monday, April 7th – AND there’s another edition of 8×8 tonight where you’ll find eight performers, eight minutes each.
- Monday, April 7th – Plus you can test out your theatre knowledge with a round of Shakespeare trivia at Brixton’s Brews with the Bard.
- Tuesday, April 8th – And The Kennedy Center’s Hip-Hop festival continues with The Narcicyst.
- Tuesday, April 8th – And there’s a free stand-up variety show and game show over at Nick’s Riverside Grill.
- Tuesday, April 8th – AND there’s free karaoke at Zeba Bar.
- Tuesday, April 8th – And if you REALLY feel like taking the mic yourself, there’s a free open mic night at Gypsy Sally’s, complete with drink specials.
- Tuesday, April 8th – The Brixton’s got its own comedy show happening every Tuesday night. They’ve even got drink specials. Sweet.
- Wednesday, April 9th – It’s Wednesday so you know that means WONDERLAND WEDNESDAYS over at Wonderland Ballroom.
- Wednesday, April 9th – It’s also the night of a Pour House goodbye party. There’ll be bocce but there might also be tears.
- Wednesday, April 9th – Celebrate Wednesdays with Hump Day at Mova Lounge including music, dancing, open mic sessions, spoken word, burlesque, screenings, live performances, DJs, karaoke, themed nights… essentially everything.
- Wednesday, April 9th – Plus you can join us, Refinery 29 and Neiman Marcus for ON THE VERGE at Cusp in Georgetown. DJs, beauty bars, fashion tips, and martinis abound.
- Wednesday, April 9th – And there’s always the free Underground Comedy Show at The Big Hunt.
- Wednesday, April 9th – AND there’s Hill Country BBQ’s got free live band karaoke.
- Wednesday, April 9th – Speaking of karaoke, it’s District Karaoke’s city-wide finals tonight at Penn Social.
- Wednesday, April 9th – There’s stand-up at Bier Baron Tavern, complete with mystery drink specials.
- Wednesday, April 9th – Plus there’s an exploration of faith in Hip-Hop over at The Kennedy Center and Talib Kewli will be there so, clearly, this is a pro move.
- Wednesday, April 9th – And although it’s $10, all 10 bucks go to charity so why not pop over to Rocket Bar for a charity trivia night with snacks and drink specials?
- Thursday, April 10th– Or you can get dancin’ at Federal Lounge’s Roll Call Thursdays DJ night.
- Thursday, April 10th – If you feel like singing, git you some karaoke at Sticky Rice.
- Thursday, April 10th – No? Back to dancin’? Try Patty Boom Boom’s ’95 Live.
- Thursday, April 10th – AND there’s another Late Night Brunch burlesque show at Wonderland Ballroom with drink specials.
- Thursday, April 10th – AAAAAND there’s a free Carper Family show at The Hamilton.
- Friday, April 11th – There’s also COALBXX, DC9’s indie dance party with $2 drinks. Nothing not to love.
- Saturday, April 12th – The Hamilton’s got more free music for you tonight with bluesy group Danger Zone.
- Saturday, April 12th – Plus you can check out Porkchop Volcano’s free improv show at Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse…
- Tuesday, April 8th – Head on over to RFD and get a free Capital Beer talk led by brewmaster Garrett Peck.
- Tuesday, April 8th – Did you know there’s beer pong over at Penn Social? There’s beer pong over at Penn Social.
- Tuesday, April 8th– Chow down on $2 tacos and $4 margaritas at El Centro D.F. AND they now have a queer happy hour on the roof with food and drink specials. Sweet.
- Wednesday, April 9th – Drink up at Doner Bistro’s Starkbierfest with specials on all beers over six percent ABV.
- Wednesday, April 9th – And there’s an art happy hour at Transformer Gallery. Nothing not to love.
- Saturday, April 12th – Into tea? Teaism’s giving a free talk at the American Art Museum. Note: THERE WILL BE TASTINGS.
- Wednesday, April 9th – Head to the American Art Museum for a pop art curator tour.
- Friday, April 11th – And there’s a free performance at Woolly Mammoth. Check out Fault Lines: Two One Act Plays.
- Friday, April 11th – And circle back to the American Art Museum for Drawing at Dusk, complete with basic provided materials and belly dancers.
- Friday, April 11th – Sunday, April 13th – And Downtown Bethesda becomes a literary Valhalla this weekend during the 15th annual Bethesda Literary Festival.
- Saturday, April 12th – AND there’s a free comics workshop at Art Enables Studio. (RSVP to [email protected])
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Tuesday, April 8th – VIDA Fitness instructors will lead free workout classes each Tuesday throughout April at The Park at City Center. Obviously this is a score.
- Tuesday, April 8th – Take an hour-long yoga break at Georgetown Public Library for some free Lunch Hour Yoga at 12:30pm.
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga at Union Arts! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.