Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
- Monday, March 31st – Kick up your movie game with $2 screenings of “The Nutjob,” “American Hustle” and “Her” over at Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse.
- Tuesday, March 31st – And the Arlington Cinema $2 movies continue tonight with “12 Years a Slave” and “American Hustle.”
- Monday, March 31st – You can always head to The Kennedy Center to catch more of their incredible, free, and incredibly free One Mic hip-hop cultural festival.
- Monday, March 31st – There’s a Deaf Jam over at Howard University AND it’s only $3 AND it’s for a good cause.
- Tuesday, April 1st – Head over to Hill Country Live for a free show by North of Nashvlle.
- Tuesday, April 1st – And there’s a free stand-up variety show and game show over at Nick’s Riverside Grill.
- Tuesday, April 1st – AND there’s free karaoke at Zeba Bar.
- Tuesday, April 1st – The Brixton’s got its own comedy show happening every Tuesday night. They’ve even got drink specials. Sweet.
- Tuesday, April 1st – And you might as well stay camped at The Brixton because tonight is The Roast of the Metro.
- Wednesday, April 2nd – It’s Wednesday so you know that means WONDERLAND WEDNESDAYS over at Wonderland Ballroom.
- Wednesday, April 2nd – Celebrate Wednesdays with Hump Day at Mova Lounge including music, dancing, open mic sessions, spoken word, burlesque, screenings, live performances, DJs, karaoke, themed nights… essentially everything.
- Wednesday, April 2nd – And there’s always the free Underground Comedy Show at The Big Hunt.
- Wednesday, April 2nd – If you’re in the mood to take the mic yerself, Hill Country BBQ’s got free live band karaoke.
- Wednesday, April 2nd – There’s trivia at Bier Baron Tavern, complete with mystery drink specials.
- Thursday, April 3rd – Hill Country Live’s got another free show for ya, this time by Matuto.
- Thursday, April 3rd – Or you can get dancin’ at Little Miss Whiskey’s Club 90.
- Thursday, April 3rd – If you feel like singing, git you some karaoke at Sticky Rice.
- Thursday, April 3rd – No? Back to dancin’? Try Patty Boom Boom’s ’95 Live.
- Friday, April 4th – There’s also COALBXX, DC9’s indie dance party with $2 drinks. Nothing not to love.
- Tuesday, April 1st – Did you know there’s beer pong over at Penn Social? There’s beer pong over at Penn Social.
- Tuesday, April 1st– Chow down on $2 tacos and $4 margaritas at El Centro D.F. AND they now have a queer happy hour on the roof with food and drink specials. Sweet.
- Thursday, April 3rd – And THEN there’s a very special Game of Thrones happy hour and release party for Ommegang’s new “Fire & Blood” beer at Penn Social.
- Monday, March 31st – Celebrate cherry blossom season with the opening reception for “A Year in Japan,” the newest exhibition in The IDB Staff Association Art Gallery.
- Tuesday, April 1st – There’s a free lecture by April Gornik tonight. (Thanks, Smithsonian!)
- Thursday, April 3rd – And there’s a zombie presidents art show over at Bistro Bethem. #ProMove
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Tuesday, April 1st – VIDA Fitness instructors will lead free workout classes each Tuesday throughout April at The Park at City Center. Obviously this is a score.
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga at Union Arts! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Every Saturday – Sweat out all of last night’s toxins with brunch and yoga at the Dunes!
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.