Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
- Monday, March 17th – You can always get your $2 movie Mondays on at Arlington Cinema & Drafthouse with screenings of “The Nut Job,” “Gravity” and a very special St. Patrick’s Day screening of “Boondock Saints.”
- Tuesday, March 17th – And the Arlington Cinema $2 movies continue tonight with “Gravity” and “Dallas Buyers Club.”
- Thursday, March 20th – Then head to Hillyer Art Space for a free screening of “The Night of the Bear.”
- Monday, March 17th – SNOWBALL FIGHT PSA: There’s a SnowPatricksDay Snowball Fight in Meridian Hill Park today. Do it.
- Monday, March 17th – Jump into more St. Patrick’s Day with Zan McLeod’s lineup of all-star local Traditional Irish musicians over at Bethesda Blues and Jazz Supper Club.
- Monday, March 17th – And if you head over to Alexandria you’ll find all-day live music and food/drink specials at Daniel O’Connells Bar and Restaurant.
- Monday, March 17th – In non-Irish news, there’s a free Frost Middle School Symphonic Orchestra and Loudoun Youth Guitars performance at the Kennedy Center in honor of Music in Our Schools Month.
- Tuesday, March 18th – Circle back and get classy with a classical performance at the Kennedy Center OR a performance by the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Tuesday, March 18th – Or head to The Embassy of France for a free show by Bertrand Chamayou.
- Tuesday, March 18th – And there’s a free stand-up variety show and game show over at Nick’s Riverside Grill.
- Tuesday, March 18th – Feel like dancing? Tap and Parlour’s weekly DJ night Classic Material should do the trick.
- Tuesday, March 18th – AND there’s free karaoke at Zeba Bar.
- Tuesday, March 18th – The Brixton’s got its own new comedy show happening every Tuesday night. They’ve even got drink specials. Sweet.
- Tuesday, March 18th – And Vendetta over on H Street’s got a new Underground Comedy show, too.
- Tuesday, March 18th – AND you can catch free burlesque over at Anacostia Arts Center’s Big City Burlesque night.
- Wednesday, March 19th – Get over those mid-week blues with Doner Bistro’s DAS GERMAN PARTY.
- Wednesday, March 19th – Keep the dancing going at Little Miss Whiskey’s KISS KISS BANG BANG post-punk and dark wave DJ night.
- Wednesday, March 19th – It’s Wednesday so you know that means WONDERLAND WEDNESDAYS over at Wonderland Ballroom.
- Wednesday, March 19th – Celebrate Wednesdays with Hump Day at Mova Lounge including music, dancing, open mic sessions, spoken word, burlesque, screenings, live performances, DJs, karaoke, themed nights… essentially everything.
- Wednesday, March 19th – And there’s always the free Underground Comedy Show at The Big Hunt.
- Wednesday, March 19th – If you’re in the mood to take the mic yerself, Hill Country BBQ’s got free live band karaoke.
- Wednesday, March 19th – There’s trivia at Bier Baron Tavern, complete with mystery drink specials.
- Thursday, March 20th – This Thursday we’ve got another edition of SUPER BEST FRIENDS FORVER, our free DJ night at Little Miss Whiskey’s. This week’s nerdy music journos include Jon Fischer of the Washington City Paper, Matt Cohen of DCist, Chris Kelly of the Washington Post, and BYT’s very own Cale Charney.
- Thursday, March 20th – AND there’s a free Walter Egan show at Gypsy Sally’s tonight.
- Thursday, March 20th – Or get folsky with Rimi Natsukawa at the Kennedy Center.
- Thursday, March 20th – AND there’s a free South Rail show over at Hill Country.
- Thursday, March 20th – If you feel like singing, git you some karaoke at Sticky Rice.
- Friday, March 21st – AND there’s a free Loft Music night at The Hamilton with 19th Street Band.
- Friday, March 21st – There’s also COALBXX, DC9’s indie dance party with $2 drinks. Nothing not to love.
- Friday, March 21st – Or dance off the week’s stress at The Lodge at Red Rocks with a Micah Vellian vs. Canine Teeth DJ night.
- Friday, March 21st – And there’s a free Jonny Grave & The Tombstones show at Hill Country.
- Saturday, March 22nd – The Hamilton’s hosting another free Loft Late Night show with Harris Face.
- Monday, March 17th – WELCOME TO ST. PATRICK’S DAY. Jack Rose Dining Saloon’s got an all-day “Punch, Pints & Whiskey” happy hour with discounted drinks and Irish hors d’oeuvres.
- Monday, March 17th – And Shake Shack’s serving up their special edition Irish Fries Are Smiling fries with horseradish cream, scallions, and bacon, for $4.
- Tuesday, March 18th – Did you know there’s beer pong over at Penn Social? There’s beer pong over at Penn Social.
- Tuesday, March 18th– Chow down on $2 tacos and $4 margaritas at El Centro D.F. AND they now have a queer happy hour on the roof with food and drink specials. Sweet.
- Friday, March 21st – Sunday, March 23rd – Dolcezza Gelato’s factory is finally open and they’re offering half-off all their delicious pre-packaged gelato pints THE ENTIRE WEEKEND.
- Friday, March 21st – It’s Lemonade Day DC so check out fresh lemonade at the Whole Foods on P Street–all donations benefit the Whole Planet Foundation.
- Sunday, March 23rd – And then circle back to Jack Rose for free Cachaca tastings!
- Tuesday, March 18th – Let’s get gross with environmental historian Dawn Day Biehler’s author talk at Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Library.
- Friday, March 21st – If you’re a member of the Phillips Collection, check out a free curator talk; if you’re not a member, it’s included with your admission today. #Culture
- Saturday, March 22nd – And then you can catch a free artist talk with Cindy Cheng at Smithsonian’s American Art Museum.
- Saturday, March 22nd – And TEN there’s an opening reception for Oleg Kudryashov: Memories of Moscow at The Robert Brown Gallery.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga at Union Arts! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Every Saturday – Sweat out all of last night’s toxins with brunch and yoga at the Dunes!
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.