Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
- Monday, March 10th – You can always get your $2 movie Mondays on at Arlington Cinema & Drafthouse with screenings of “The Nut Job,” “Gravity” and “Dallas Buyers Club.”
- Tuesday, March 11th – And the Arlington Cinema $2 movies continue tonight with “Gravity” and “Dallas Buyers Club.”
- Monday, March 10th – First off, there’s a fun zine reading at The Dollhouse tonight…
- Monday, March 10th – OR you can check out a Kennedy Center free performance by the Duke Ellington School of the Arts Music Department.
- Tuesday, March 11th – Circle back to the Kennedy Center for a free show by the Polyphony Foundation.
- Tuesday, March 11th – And there’s a free stand-up variety show and game show over at Nick’s Riverside Grill.
- Tuesday, March 11th – Feel like dancing? Tap and Parlour’s weekly DJ night Classic Material should do the trick.
- Tuesday, March 11th – Keep on dancin’ at Heist for the soft launch of Pelonkey, a new service for DJs.
- Tuesday, March 11th – The Brixton’s got its own new comedy show happening every Tuesday night. They’ve even got drink specials. Sweet.
- Wednesday, March 12th – Head back to The Kennedy Center for a free show of original works by members of ASCAP.
- Wednesday, March 12th – It’s Wednesday so you know that means WONDERLAND WEDNESDAYS over at Wonderland Ballroom.
- Wednesday, March 12th – There’s a new weekly happy hour in town with Hump Day at Mova Lounge and it includes music, dancing, open mic sessions, spoken word, burlesque, screenings, live performances, DJs, karaoke, themed nights… essentially everything.
- Wednesday, March 12th – And there’s always the free Underground Comedy Show at The Big Hunt.
- Wednesday, March 12th – If you’re in the mood to take the mic yerself, Hill Country BBQ’s got free live band karaoke.
- Wednesday, March 12th – There’s trivia at Bier Baron Tavern, complete with mystery drink specials.
- Thursday, March 13th – Hop over to Penn Social for the release party of Magic Hat’s new beer, Dream Machine; raffles, DJs, games, glassware, and drink specials abound.
- Thursday, March 13th – AND there’s a free Bryan Elijah Smith show over at Hill Country.
- Thursday, March 13th – OH and did you know there’s another free Late Night Brunch burlesque show at Wonderland Ballroom? Free burlesque, cheap brunch cocktails. Nothing not to love.
- Thursday, March 13th – And get laughing at After Class, Science Club’s weekly comedy night.
- Thursday, March 13th – If you feel like singing, git you some karaoke at Sticky Rice.
- Friday, March 7th – Get dancing at Tainted Love, an ’80s and ’90s dance party at Dunya.
- Friday, March 14th – Get in on some free comedy at The Dunes with Under the Counter.
- Friday, March 14th – AND there’s a free Loft Music night at The Hamilton with The Danger Zone.
- Friday, March 14th – There’s another free show, over at Bayou, this time by North Country and the Deaf Scene.
- Friday, March 14th – There’s also COALBXX, DC9’s indie dance party with $2 drinks. Nothing not to love.
- Friday, March 14th – And there’s a free show at the Kennedy Center by NSO Youth Fellows.
- Saturday, March 15th – Porkchop Volcano brings you a free short-form improv show at Arlington Cinema & Drafthouse tonight.
- Suday, March 16th – AND THEN be sure to catch the Pete Seeger tribute show at the Kennedy Center.
- Monday, March 10th – Get your drink on at Satellite Room’s Heavy Metal Mondays with music, drink specials and head bangin’.
- Tuesday, March 11th – Oyamel’s offering free tequila and mezcal tastings in their Butterfly Room. TRUST US, you want to drink all of it.
- Tuesday, March 11th – Did you know there’s beer pong over at Penn Social? There’s beer pong over at Penn Social.
- Tuesday, March 11th– Chow down on $2 tacos and $4 margaritas at El Centro D.F. AND they now have a queer happy hour on the roof with food and drink specials. Sweet.
- Wednesday, March 12th – AND THEN there’s the free Lassi Launch Party at DC Dosa where you can drink all the mango ginger, strawberry black pepper, and avocado lime lassis you can handle.
- Thursday, March 13th – The 7th annual Forum on Women in Leadership is tonight over at The Library of Congress, moderated by New York Times journalist Jackie Calmes.
- Friday, March 14th – If you’re a member of the Phillips Collection, check out a free curator talk; if you’re not a member, it’s included with your admission today. #Culture
- Friday, March 14th – And then you can catch a free two and a half hour workshop at the National Gallery of Art’s Drawing Salon.
- Friday, March 14th – It’s Free Art Friday! Stay tuned to the Free Art Facebook and Twitter for clues in a free local art scavenger hunt throughout the city.
- Saturday, March 15th – Then there’s a one-night-only outdoor art show at 9th and U called (Re)Active Space.
- Saturday, March 15th – AND there’s a free preview of Washington National Opera’s new production of “Elixir of Love.”
- Saturday, March 15th – There’s also a donation-based fashion show that benefits Kidsave, so head on out to Georgetown for your philanthropic fashion needs.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga at Union Arts! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Every Saturday – Sweat out all of last night’s toxins with brunch and yoga at the Dunes!
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.