Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
- Monday, February 24th – As the Washington Psychotronic Film Society says, “You can’t expect much good to come from to cock-blocking Satan, stealing his intended bride/sacrifice, wooing her, and having a kid.” If that doesn’t sell you on their free screening of “Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned” I don’t know what will.
- Monday, February 24th – Get in on $2 movies with screenings of “Walking with Dinosaurs,” “Gravity,” and “Saving Mr. Banks” at Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse.
- Tuesday, February 25th – And the Arlington Cinema $2 movies continue tonight with “Gravity” and “The Book Thief.”
- Tuesday, February 25th – Head to Georgetown University Law Center for a free screening of “Fire In the Blood” and a panel discussion moderated by NPR’s Jason Beaubien.
- Saturday, March 1st – Then on Saturday DCJCC’s got a free screening of documentary “A Prayer for Aliyah” which has nothing to do with Aaliyah but should still be pretty great.
- Monday, February 24th – First off, RUPAUL’S DRAG RACE RETURNS TONIGHT. Catch a viewing party hosted by the fabulous Ba’Naka over at Number Nine.
- Monday, February 24th – In the mood for old timey and free? New Country Rehab plays a show at Hill Country tonight…
- Monday, February 24th – Or get classy with a free Peabody Institute performance at The Kennedy Center.
- Monday, February 24th – Start your week dancing with Rich Medina’s DJ set at The Standard.
- Tuesday, February 25th – And there’s a free stand-up variety show and game show over at Nick’s Riverside Grill.
- Tuesday, February 25th – Check out a free show by the Apollo Chamber Orchestra at Kennedy Center and get some classical in dat life.
- Tuesday, February 25th – Feel like dancing? Tap and Parlour’s weekly DJ night Classic Material should do the trick.
- Tuesday, February 25th – The Brixton’s got its own new comedy show happening every Tuesday night. They’ve even got drink specials. Sweet.
- Tuesday, February 25th – OR catch a pay-what-you-can performance of Virginia Woolf’s “Orlando” by WSC Avant Bard.
- Tuesday, February 25th – AND THEN there’s a free pop punk show at The Black Squirrel.
- Tuesday, February 25th – AND ALSO there’s a free Parker Millsap show at Hill Country. So many things!
- Wednesday, February 26th – Head back to The Kennedy Center for a free show by guitarist/banjoist Charlie Parr.
- Wednesday, February 26th – It’s Wednesday so you know that means WONDERLAND WEDNESDAYS over at Wonderland Ballroom.
- Wednesday, February 26th – There’s a new weekly happy hour in town with Hump Day at Mova Lounge and it includes music, dancing, open mic sessions, spoken word, burlesque, screenings, live performances, DJs, karaoke, themed nights… essentially everything.
- Wednesday, February 26th – And there’s always the free Underground Comedy Show at The Big Hunt.
- Wednesday, February 26th – If you’re in the mood to take the mic yerself, Hill Country BBQ’s got free live band karaoke.
- Wednesday, February 26th – There’s trivia at Bier Baron Tavern, complete with mystery drink specials.
- Thursday, February 27th – Get ready for the KARAOKE CUP at Rock and Roll Hotel, which will obviously be a lot of fun.
- Thursday, February 27th – Circle back to the Kennedy Center for a show by jazz vocalist Denyse Pearson.
- Thursday, February 27th – And if you hop on over to Black Whiskey you can dance at the WITCHES X AMERICAN REFLEXXX AFTER PARTY, a “carnival americana meets robot” dance party.
- Thursday, February 27th – OR get dancin’ at ’95 Live at Patty Boom Boom.
- Thursday, February 27th – Get laughing at After Class, Science Club’s weekly comedy night.
- Thursday, February 27th – If you feel like singing, git you some karaoke at Sticky Rice.
- Friday, February 28th – Head to the Kennedy Center for an Uprooted Dance show.
- Friday, February 28th – AND there’s a free Loft Music night at The Hamilton with Steve and Annie Sidley.
- Friday, February 28th – There’s also COALBXX, DC9’s indie dance party with $2 drinks. Nothing not to love.
- Friday, February 28th – AND there’s a free Pontiak, More Humans, and Joy Buttons show at The Paperhaus. Go to this.
- Friday, February 28th – AND THEN there’s a free comedy and burlesque show at The Pinch. What? Yes.
- Friday, February 28th – AND it’s time once again for GLITTHER, Zeba Bar’s monthly women’s LGBTQxyz dance party.
- Friday, February 28th – Or keep the dancing going with Shanti Shree at Redrocks on H Street.
- Friday, February 28th – OR get real acoustic-like with a free Strung Like a Horse show at Hill Country.
- Saturday, March 1st – Did you know there’s a free Canine Teeth DJ set at Sticky Rice? Did you know you might get free drinks?? It’s all true. THE MORE YOU KNOW.
- Saturday, March 1st – And if you’re in the mood to laugh there’s a free Pork Chop Volcano improv show at Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse.
- Saturday, March 2nd – Or dance along to the DJ stylin’ of Cosmo Baker at Red Rocks on H.
- Saturday, March 2nd – Then cap off your week with a Paperhaus performance at Smithsonian Museum of American Art’s Luce Unplugged.
- Tuesday, February 25th – Did you know there’s beer pong over at Penn Social? There’s beer pong over at Penn Social.
- Tuesday, February 25th– Chow down on $2 tacos and $4 margaritas at El Centro D.F. AND they now have a queer happy hour on the roof with food and drink specials. Sweet.
- Saturday, March 1st – It’s March Martini Madness in Bethesda where participating restaurants craft specialty martinis for happy hour prices. Drink it in.
- Tuesday, February 25th – There’s a Dating in D.C. lecture over at the Georgetown Public Library for all your sociological/romantic curiosity needs.
- Thursday, February 27th– Then you can head to 1708 Gallery for a gallery talk and reception for The Hair Craft Project.
- Friday, February 28th – And then architect Mimi Yiu discusses the architecture and staging in the context of Folger Theatre’s production of “Richard III.”
- Friday, February 28th – It’s Free Art Friday! Stay tuned to Facebook and Twitter for clues in a free local art scavenger hunt throughout the city.
- Friday, February 28th – AND there’s an opening reception for “Bridging the Gap” at the Korean Cultural Center.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga at Union Arts! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Every Saturday – Sweat out all of last night’s toxins with brunch and yoga at the Dunes!
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.