Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
- Monday, February 10th – Let’s kick off your week with Washington Psychotronic Film Society’s free screening of “Time of the Apes” featuring “apes in pimped-out Colonel Sanders outfits, UFOs with large screen TVs, Wild West gun fights, simian sidekicks.” What’s not to love?
- Monday, February 10th – If you’re in the mood for movies, Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse has $2 screenings of “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” and “A Fantastic Fear of Everything.”
- Tuesday, February 11th – You can also catch a free screening of “Unsupersize Me” over at Compassion Over Killing’s headquarters.
- Tuesday, February 11th – Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse’s $2 movies continue with “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” and “Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues.”
- Monday, February 10th through Thursday, February 20th – Into the Olympic Games? Capitol City Brewing is hosting a viewing party Mondays through Thursdays with an oversized projection screen and beer specials.
- Monday, February 10th – And if you’re in the mood for comedy, head to the Kennedy Center for a free show with Kurt Braunohler.
- Tuesday, February 11th – You’re invited to the Amara Legal Center’s winter happy hour at Smith Commons where you’ll find free appetizers and drink specials along with conversation about helping those who’ve been violated through commercial sex in D.C. Party!
- Tuesday, February 11th – Then get real folksy with Shonna Tucker and Eye Candy (formerly of Drive-By Truckers) over at Hill Country BBQ.
- Tuesday, February 11th – And there’s a free stand-up variety show and game show over at Nick’s Riverside Grill.
- Tuesday, February 11th – Check out a free show by Ethiopian accordion and keyboardist Hailu Mergia at The Kennedy Center.
- Tuesday, February 4th – Feel like dancing? Tap and Parlour’s weekly DJ night Classic Material should do the trick.
- Tuesday, February 11th – The Brixton’s got its own new comedy show happening every Tuesday night. They’ve even got drink specials. Sweet.
- Wednesday, February 12th – Head back to The Kennedy Center for Listen Local First’s-presented Nappy Riddem show.
- Wednesday, February 12th – It’s Wednesday so you know that means WONDERLAND WEDNESDAYS over at Wonderland Ballroom.
- Wednesday, February 12th – There’s a new weekly happy hour in town with Hump Day at Mova Lounge and it includes music, dancing, open mic sessions, spoken word, burlesque, screenings, live performances, DJs, karaoke, themed nights… essentially everything.
- Wednesday, February 12th – And there’s always the free Underground Comedy Show at The Big Hunt.
- Wednesday, February 12th – If you’re in the mood to take the mic yerself, Hill Country BBQ’s got free live band karaoke.
- Wednesday, February 12th – There’s trivia at Bier Baron Tavern, complete with mystery drink specials.
- Thursday, February 13th – Circle back to the Kennedy Center for a free show by NSO youth fellows, who’ll be playing chamber music. Classy.
- Thursday, February 13th – Head to Gypsy Sally’s for the CD release party of Walter Egan’s “Myth America.”
- Thursday, February 13th – Get laughing at After Class, Science Club’s weekly comedy night.
- Thursday, February 13th – And tonight you’re in for a treat because Wonderland Ballroom’s hosting Late Night Brunch, a free burlesque show with brunch cocktails and specials.
- Thursday, February 13th – If you’re in the mood to dance, check out Weird World at Cafe Saint-Ex.
- Thursday, February 13th – AND there’s ’95 Love Valentine’s Day edition over at Patty Boom Boom to keep yer body movin’.
- Thursday, February 13th – If you feel like singing, git you some karaoke at Sticky Rice.
- Friday, February 14th – Head to the Kennedy Center for a free preview of Washington National Opera’s production of “Moby Dick.”
- Friday, February 14th– THEN Big Daddy Love + Andrew Leahey and the Homestead play Hill Country BBQ.
- Friday, February 14th – AND there’s a free Loft Music night at The Hamilton with The Sidleys.
- Friday, February 14th – There’s also COALBXX, DC9’s indie dance party.
- Friday, February 14th – And there’ll be some fun Valentine’s Day events, photo booths, and activities over at the Smithsonian American Art museum today.
- Friday, February 14th – OR spend it at Woo at the Zoo, where you’ll receive free complimentary hors d’oeuvres and drinks and photos and crafts and talks on animal mating rituals. What up.
- Saturday, February 15th – Or you can dance through Saturday night at City on Silt, Tropicalia’s no-cover DJ night.
- Saturday, February 15th – The Kennedy Center’s hosting a free show by Zimbabwe Legit, one of the first rap groups from Africa.
- Saturday, February 15th – And if you need a laugh, Porkchop Volcano is improv-ing all over Arlington Cinema & Drafthouse tonight.
- Suday, February 16th – And as if this week’s free offerings couldn’t get any better, ANDY ROURKE (from The Smiths) and Rich Morel (from Blowoff / Hot Sauce) are doing a free DJ Set at Little Miss Whiskeys. True story.
- Tuesday, February 11th – Did you know there’s beer pong over at Penn Social? There’s beer pong over at Penn Social.
- Tuesday, February 11th – Chow down on $2 tacos and $4 margaritas at El Centro D.F. AND they now have a queer happy hour on the roof with food and drink specials. Sweet.
- Tuesday, February 11th through Thursday, February 13th – Prepare for DC Fashion Week with designer previews at the W Hotel. RSVP info here.
- Wednesday, February 12th – Hit up The Georgetown Public Library for a free discussion about online dating and social impact/perception.
- Thursday, February 13th – Head to Gypsy Sally’s for a free Walter Egan “Martyr’s of Rock” art show.
- Thursday, February 13th – And there’s an opening reception and gallery talk for Frances Gallardo’s new cut-paper hurricane series at Target Gallery.
- Thursday, February 13th – AND there’s a free cultural event in celebration of Kosova.
- Friday, February 14th – It’s Free Art Friday! Stay tuned to Facebook and Twitter for clues in a free local art scavenger hunt throughout the city.
- Saturday, February 15th – Imagination Stage is hosting a 24-hour Play in a Day festival, which should be a lot of fun.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga at Union Arts! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Every Saturday – Sweat out all of last night’s toxins with brunch and yoga at the Dunes!
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.