Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
- Monday, February 3rd – Let’s kick off your week with Washington Psychotronic Film Society’s free screening of “Honky,” an interracial love story featuring hippies.
- Monday, February 3rd – If you’re in the mood for movies, Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse has $2 screenings of “Walking with Dinosaurs,” “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” and “Captain Phillips.”
- Tuesday, February 4th – Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse’s $2 movies continue with “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom” and “Thor: The Dark World.” Sweet!
- Monday, February 3rd – Start your week off right and git dancin’ at 2/3 Laundry Day over at U Street Music Hall, featuring Eric Volta & Maher Daniel with Jubilee and LXSX FRXNK. Pro Tip: If you get there before 10:00pm, it’s free.
- Monday, February 3rd – And if you’re in the mood for live theatre, The Kennedy Center puts on a free production of “White Rabbit, Red Rabbit” tonight.
- Monday, February 3rd– AND you can catch eight performers at eight minutes apiece over at 8×8 in Looking Glass Lounge.
- Tuesday, February 4th – Then get real nerdy again with Nerds in NoMA. The event is free but you must RSVP.
- Tuesday, February 4th – And there’s a free stand-up variety show and game show over at Nick’s Riverside Grill.
- Tuesday, February 4th – Or you can celebrate Sri Lankan Independence with a free performance by the Channa-Upli Performing Arts Foundation at the Kennedy Center.
- Tuesday, February 4th – Feel like dancing? Tap and Parlour’s weekly DJ night Classic Material should do the trick.
- Tuesday, February 4th – The Brixton’s got its own new comedy show happening every Tuesday night. They’ve even got drink specials. Sweet.
- Wednesday, February 5th – Head back to The Kennedy Center for New York band Underground System for a mix of funk MCing, Italian folk, Afrobeat and more.
- Wednesday, February 5th – It’s Wednesday so you know that means WONDERLAND WEDNESDAYS over at Wonderland Ballroom.
- Wednesday, February 5th – And there’s always the free Underground Comedy Show at The Big Hunt.
- Wednesday, February 5th – If you’re in the mood to take the mic yerself, Hill Country BBQ’s got free live band karaoke.
- Wednesday, February 5th – There’s trivia at Bier Baron Tavern, complete with mystery drink specials.
- Wednesday, February 5th – Feel like dancin’? It’s time for another DAS GERMAN party at Doner Bistro.
- Wednesday, February 5th – AND there’s a DC Communion event (read: great music showcase) over at Gypsy Sally’s in Georgetown.
- Thursday, February 6th – Circle back to the Kennedy Center for a free folk show by Lowland Hum.
- Thursday, February 6th – And it’s the first Thursday of the month which means Little Miss Whiskey’s CLUB 90–’90s industrial vs ’90s techno–night is back.
- Thursday, February 6th – Get laughing at After Class, Science Club’s weekly comedy night.
- Thursday, February 6th – And we definitely recommend PUTTIN’ ON THE GLITZ at Madam’s Organ, a Sochi Sendoff Party with live music, Vladimir Putin(s) in drag – and all door proceeds benefit the Russia Freedom Fund to help LGBTQ organizations in Russia.
- Thursday, February 6th – If you feel like singing, git you some karaoke at Sticky Rice.
- Friday, February 7th – Head to the Kennedy Center for a free evening of traditional Chinese dance performance.
- Friday, February 7th– THEN Jonny Grave and The Tombstones play Hill Country BBQ.
- Friday, February 7th – And if you’re into dancing you way into the weekend, check out Sugar and Spice, The Pinch’s all-girl DJ night.
- Saturday, February 8th – Hill Country BBQ’s got another dose of free live music with The Bobby Thompson Project.
- Saturday, February 8th – And then might we recommend Collapser, American Television, Atlas at Last, and Light Arms at The Pinch?
- Tuesday, February 4th – Did you know there’s beer pong over at Penn Social? There’s beer pong over at Penn Social.
- Tuesday, February 4th – Chow down on $2 tacos and $4 margaritas at El Centro D.F. AND they now have a queer happy hour on the roof with food and drink specials. Sweet.
- Wednesday, February 5th – Head to the Mexican Cultural Institute for a free lecture on the Mexican Revolution because knowledge.
- Thursday, February 6th – Prepare for DC Fashion Week with designer previews at the W Hotel. RSVP info here.
- Thursday, February 6th – House of Sweden kicks off Georgetown Arts 2014 with a free reception so stop on by.
- Thursday, February 6th – Like urban exploration? Check out a new photo exhibition from the DC Urban Explorers.
- Thursday, February 6th – And then head to Redeem for Passport Destination: Moscow.
- Friday, February 7th – It’s Free Art Friday! Stay tuned to Facebook and Twitter for clues in a free local art scavenger hunt throughout the city.
- Friday, February 7th – And if you make our way to Smithsonian’s American Art Museum, you’ll find the Luce Unplugged Community Showcase featuring art, live music AND tastings from Bloomery Plantation Distillery.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga at Union Arts! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Every Saturday – Sweat out all of last night’s toxins with brunch and yoga at the Dunes!
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.