Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
- Monday, January 27th – If you’re in the mood for movies, Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse has $2 screenings of “Walking with Dinosaurs,” “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” and “Captain Phillips.”
- Tuesday, January 28th – Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse’s $2 movies continue with “Captain Phillips” and “Thor: The Dark World.” Sweet!
- Monday, January 27th – Catch Yvonne Caruthers, the NSO’s cellist, who plays a narrative live show at the Kennedy Center for free tonight.
- Monday, January 27th – Rub elbows with DC’s startup elite at tonight’s InSITE DC semi-annual CONNECT event.
- Tuesday, January 28th – Then get real nerdy again with Nerds in NoMA. The event is free but you must RSVP.
- Tuesday, January 28th – And there’s a free stand-up variety show and game show over at Nick’s Riverside Grill.
- Tuesday, January 28th – If you’re in the mood for some classical culture, be sure to check out The Kennedy Center’s free NSO Youth Fellows showcase.
- Tuesday, January 28th – Feel like dancing? Tap and Parlour’s weekly DJ night Classic Material should do the trick.
- Wednesday, January 29th – Head back to The Kennedy Center for more NSO Youth Fellows fun.
- Wednesday, January 29th – It’s Wednesday so you know that means WONDERLAND WEDNESDAYS over at Wonderland Ballroom.
- Wednesday, January 29th – And there’s always the free Underground Comedy Show at The Big Hunt.
- Wednesday, January 29th – If you’re in the mood to take the mic yerself, Hill Country BBQ’s got free live band karaoke.
- Wednesday, January 29th – There’s trivia at Bier Baron Tavern, complete with mystery drink specials.
- Thursday, January 30th – Head to The Kennedy Center for a free comedy night with Sara Schaefer and Brian Parise AND a post-show Happy Hour from 7:00 to 8:00.
- Thursday, January 30th – Then there’s a free Beers and Careers Networking event over at Blackfinn.
- Thursday, January 30th – Get laughing at After Class, Science Club’s weekly comedy night.
- Thursday, January 30th – Feel like dancing? Well lucky you, Patty Boom Boom’s ’95 Live is here to help.
- Thursday, January 30th – OR git you some karaoke at Sticky Rice.
- Friday, January 31st – Then Toni Asante Lightfood leads a variety show for free at The Kennedy Center.
- Friday, January 31st – THEN you can get dancin’ at The Pinch with The Rebirth of Aztec Sun.
- Friday, January 31st– THEN The Coal Men play a free show over at Hill Country. Neat.
- Saturday, February 1st – And you might as well just camp out there because on Saturday Hill Country’s got ANOTHER free show with Simplified.
- Saturday, February 1st – There’s a free funk and disco dance night at Dr. Clock’s Nowhere Bar…
- Tuesday, January 27th – Did you know there’s beer pong over at Penn Social? There’s beer pong over at Penn Social.
- Tuesday, January 28th – Chow down on $2 tacos and $4 margaritas at El Centro D.F. AND they now have a queer happy hour on the roof with food and drink specials. Sweet.
- Wednesday, January 29th – There’s a Bike Beer Happy Hour over at Gordon Biersch today with cheap pints of DC’s first ever “Bike Beer” AND $1 from every pint goes to charity. Win/win.
- Thursday, January 30th – Shake Shack’s offering a “Two-Pint Conversion” deal on shakes–buy one, get one free. (YES.)
- Thursday, January 30th – Blackwater Distilling is launching Sloop Betty Honey vodka over at The Libertine. Neat.
- Sunday, February 2nd – THEN Vinoteca’s got an all-night Superbowl Happy Hour. Yes.
- Tuesday, January 28th – Folger Shakespeare Library launches a new exhibition today in celebration of The Bard’s 450th birthday. Neat!
- Friday, January 31st – It’s Free Art Friday! Stay tuned to Facebook and Twitter for clues in a free local art scavenger hunt throughout the city.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga at Union Arts! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Every Saturday – Sweat out all of last night’s toxins with brunch and yoga at the Dunes!
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.