Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
- Monday, January 13th – WELCOME TO (MIDDLE EARTH) MONDAY(S) wherein Black Cat screens the Lord of the Rings trilogy and sells you drinks on the cheap. Up this week is The Two Towers, costumes welcome. This is perfect.
- Monday, January 13th – Ready to get weird? The Washington Psychotronic Film Society takes over McFadden’s tonight with a screening of “Skatetown USA.” This is Patrick Swayze’s first movie, so that alone should be incentive.
- Monday, January 13th – Head on over to Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse for $2 movies. Up today: “Thor: The Dark World,” “Captain Phillips,” and “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2.”
- Tuesday, January 14th – Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse’s $2 movies continue with “Captain Phillips.” Oscars!
- Monday, January 13th – You can hit up The Bombay Royale at The Kennedy Center where you’ll hear surf, disco, and funk.
- Tuesday, January 14th – And you might as well just camp out there because tonight Ukrainian folk musicians DakhabRakha play a free show.
- Tuesday, January 14th – Feel like dancing? Tap and Parlour’s weekly DJ night Classic Material should do the trick.
- Tuesday, January 14th – Get your knowledge on with Nerds in NoMA, who’ll be discussing the future of high-speed trains and DC transportation at this week’s happy hour discussion.
- Tuesday, January 14th – There’s a free stand-up variety show at Nick’s Riverside Grill…
- Wednesday, January 15th – Head back to the Kennedy Center for Russia’s 16-piece jazz band, Igor Butman.
- Wednesday, January 15th – It’s the third Wednesday of the month which means FUNNY MOMS hits Wonderland Ballroom.
- Wednesday, January 15th – And there’s always the free Underground Comedy Show at The Big Hunt.
- Thursday, January 16th – German a cappella pop quartet Maybebop takes over The Kennedy Center tonight with a free performance.
- Thursday, January 16th – Get laughing at After Class, Science Club’s weekly comedy night.
- Thursday, January 16th – Feel like dancing? Well lucky you, Patty Boom Boom’s ’95 Live is here to help.
- Thursday, January 16th – OR git you some karaoke at Sticky Rice.
- Friday, January 10th – OR save your energy for dancin’ at Tropicalia’s Congo y Castra.
- Friday, January 17th – NSO musicians plays classical pieces at the Kennedy Center tonight during Prelude.
- Saturday, January 18th – Or get in on SAO Funky Saturdays at Tropicalia.
- Saturday, January 18th – There’s a free funk and disco dance night at Dr. Clock’s Nowhere Bar…
- Saturday, January 18th – And you can catch bassist Gizmo over at The Kennedy Center for free, too.
- Sunday, January 12th – Lastly but not least-ly, The Kennedy Center closes out a week of Free with a performance by the Children of Uganda Choir.
- Tuesday, January 14th – Did you know there’s beer pong over at Penn Social? There’s beer pong over at Penn Social.
- Tuesday, January 14th – Chow down on $2 tacos and $4 margaritas at El Centro D.F. AND they now have a queer happy hour on the roof with food and drink specials. Win.
- Thursday, January 16th – Penn Social’s hosting Harpoon’s draft cider release party tonight.
- Friday, January 17th – Head to Trummer’s on Main for a free wine tasting (nothing not to love).
- Until January 24th – Pinstripes in Georgetown is hosting an art contest and you can win gift cards and other prizes. YES.
- Monday, January 13th – Head over to the Smithsonian Museum of American Art for a discussion on performance art, hosted by local educator and artist Jeffry Cudlin.
- Monday, January 13th – Get a dose of culture with The Art League’s Solo Preview.
- Friday, January 17th – If you’re interested in art (and we hope you are), Drawing Salon is a free two and a half hour workshop at the National Gallery of Art and you should go.
- Friday, January 17th – It’s Free Art Friday! Stay tuned to Facebook and Twitter for clues in a free local art scavenger hunt throughout the city.
- Friday, January 17th – The Fridge hosts an opening party tonight for Syria: What Was, What Is and What Will Be.
- Friday, January 17th – There’s ALSO an opening night party for A Window into the Mind’s Eye over at the Joan Hisaoka Healing Arts Gallery.
- Saturday, January 18th – And if you didn’t catch enough art openings on Friday, Frances Gallardo’s Meteorology at Target Gallery includes a special performance by the artist himself.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga at Union Arts! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Every Saturday – Sweat out all of last night’s toxins with brunch and yoga at the Dunes!
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.