Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of. We even love you so much we are throwing TWELVE DAYS OF VIPERS GIVEAWAYS, where we give you literally hundreds of prizes. Sign up now and get entered to win some incredible (no, REALLY incredible) free giveaways in food, music, fashion beauty and more. You want this free stuff, we promise.
Now onto this week:
- Monday, December 16th – Hit up Comet Ping Pong’s weekly Double Feature Mondays.
- Monday, December 16th – Or check out “Daimajin” (or “Giant Devil”), a cheesy Japanese tale of a giant stone statue, screened by the one and only Washington Psychotronic Film Society.
- Monday, December 16th – Get in on Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse’s $2 weekly spree with screenings of “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs,” “The World’s End” and “Rush.”
- Tuesday, December 17th – Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse’s $2 special continues tonight with screenings of “The World’s End” and “Machete Kills.”
- Monday, December 16th – Get festive at the Kennedy Center for the U.S. Army Band’s A Stan Kenton Christmas.
- Monday, December 16th – Or stop by Townhouse Tavern for a free local comedy night.
- Tuesday, December 17th – OR you can head to the Kennedy Center for the Kennedy Center Opera House Orchestra and listen to some Mozart for free.
- Tuesday, December 17th – Feel like dancing? Tap and Parlour’s weekly DJ night Classic Material should do the trick.
- Wednesday, December 18th – Keep that holiday train a-rollin’ with The Kennedy Center’s Tubachristmas, which is exactly what you think it is.
- Wednesday, December 18th – Get into Hill Country’s Rock ‘N’ Twang Live Karaoke with drink specials.
- Wednesday, December 18th – Or hit up Wonderland Wednesdays at Wonderland Ballroom with FUNNY MOMS, a comedy night with some great local stand-up talent.
- Thursday, December 19th – Listen Local First hosts its first D.C. Nine holiday showcase. You should go.
- Friday, December 20th – OR save your dance energy for Tropicalia’s Congo y Castra.
- Saturday, December 21st – Or get in on SAO Funky Saturdays at Tropicalia.
- Monday, December 16th – Jack Rose Dining Saloon is hosting an “Anchorman”-themed scotch party tonight and if you dress in costume, you get $2 off every specialty cocktail.
- Tuesday, December 17th – Hit up another Nerds in NoMA speaker series; this week’s topic is local brewing and distilling.
- Tuesday, December 17th – Chow down on $2 tacos and $4 margaritas at El Centro D.F. AND they now have a queer happy hour on the roof with food and drink specials. Win.
- Tuesday, December 17th – And then cap off your night with a free weekly beer pong tournament at Penn Social.
- Thursday, December 19th – Drink specials and an open mic? Head to Tabaq’s weekly Hilarious Happy Hour for a (potentially dangerous combination of) both.
- Thursday, December 19th – Check out War Stories and Free Beer at The Fairmont Hotel where for $10 (which benefits veterans) you get unlimited beer and war stories (questions encouraged). Your $10 cover isn’t free but it benefits the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America and the Green Beret Foundation, so c’mon.
- Friday, December 20th – Head to Trummer’s on Main for a free wine tasting (nothing not to love).
- All week – Check out Smithsonian’s Zoolights fo’ FREE.
- Friday, December 20th – It’s Free Art Friday! Stay tuned to Facebook and Twitter for clues in a free local art scavenger hunt throughout the city.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga at Union Arts! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Every Saturday – Sweat out all of last night’s toxins with brunch and yoga at the Dunes!
- Until December 24th – Vida Fitness is hosting an Ugly Christmas Sweater competition over social media and the winner gets months of free fitness membership. Get on it.
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.