Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
- Monday, December 2nd – Hit up Comet Ping Pong’s weekly Double Feature Mondays.
- Monday, December 2nd – Get in on Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse’s $2 weekly spree with MOVIES ALL DAY. Fill your day with screenings of “Planes,” “Rush” and “The World’s End.”
- Tuesday, December 3rd – Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse’s $2 special continues tonight with screenings of “The World’s End” and “Rush.”
- Thursday, December 5th – Don’t miss FREE community viewing party of The Sound of Music starring Carrie Underwood and Stephen Moyer, hosted by none other than The Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington.
- Monday, December 2nd – Get laughing with a free local comedy show at Townhouse Tavern.
- Tuesday, December 3rd – And get smarter with the new Nerds in NoMA series wherein authorities on the nerdiest of topics talk shop. Up this week: temporary urbanism.
- Tuesday, December 3rd – Feel like dancing? Tap and Parlour’s weekly DJ night Classic Material should do the trick.
- Tuesday, December 3rd – And if you don’t, head to The Kennedy Center with Zohaib Hassan and Abhik Mukherjee for an evening of classical Indian and Pakistani music.
- Tuesday, December 3rd – And if you’re in the mood for some Americana, Hill Country BBQ’s hosting duo Pretty Gritty tonight.
- Wednesday, December 4th – If you’re looking to dance, Ballet Hispanico is teaching free salsa classes to live music over at The Kennedy Center (before they perform a free show for you).
- Wednesday, December 4th – Get into Hill Country’s Rock ‘N’ Twang Live Karaoke with drink specials.
- Wednesday, December 4th – Or hit up Wonderland Wednesdays at Wonderland Ballroom with HIGHWAY ROBBERY with Comedian Haywood Turnipseed Jr.’s wide array of comedians, musicians, and spoken word/hip-hop artists from the DMV and beyond.
- Thursday, December 5th – If you’re feeling festive, head to The Kennedy Center for a free holiday music show played on hand bells.
- Thursday, December 5th – Feel even MORE festive at the Mount Vernon Monument Lighting Style Stroll, complete with sales, holiday carolers, free wine and champagne, swag bags, door prizes and fireworks.
- Thursday, December 5th – AND there’s the festive 2nd Annual DC Krampusnacht celebration happening throughout H Street.
- Thursday, December 5th – And not festive but still fun: there’s always Club 90 at Little Miss Whiskeys, the no-cover ’90s Industrial vs. ’90s Techno dance night.
- Thursday, December 5th – If you’re still looking to dance, Tropicalia’s hosting the Party for Prevention to commemorate World AIDS Day.
- Friday, December 6th – Get back into the holiday spirit with MORE wintry events. Tonight you can check out Winternational on The Plaza for cultural performances, gingerbread cookie decorating, complimentary cookies, hot cocoa and apple cider and more…
- Friday, December 6th – And pop on over to The Kennedy Center, where the U.S. Army Chorus will be singing a selection of cheery holiday tunes.
- Friday, December 6th – OR save your dance energy for Tropicalia’s Congo y Castra.
- Friday, December 6th – AND Sugar and Spice DJ Night at The Dunes returns for an all-female DJ line-up.
- Saturday, December 7th – Or get in on SAO Funky Saturdays at Tropicalia.
- Tuesday, December 3rd – Chow down on $2 tacos and $4 margaritas at El Centro D.F. AND they now have a queer happy hour on the roof with food and drink specials. Win.
- Tuesday, December 3rd – And then cap off your night with a free weekly beer pong tournament at Penn Social.
- Thursday, December 5th – Drink specials and an open mic? Head to Tabaq’s weekly Hilarious Happy Hour for a (potentially dangerous combination of) both.
- Thursday, December 5th – Jack Rose Dining Saloon is hosting its third annual no-cover Repeal Day Fête, which should be a blast.
- Friday, December 6th – Head to Trummer’s on Main for a free wine tasting (nothing not to love).
- Monday, December 2nd – Get festive with a Hanukkah Happy Hour on the Hill (at not one but THREE bars)…
- Wednesday, December 4th – …Or get day with Duplex Diner’s queer Chanukah happy hour, Oh, Gaydel, Gaydel, Gaydel!
- Friday, December 6th – It’s Free Art Friday! Stay tuned to Facebook and Twitter for clues in a free local art scavenger hunt throughout the city.
- Saturday, December 7th – Then peruse Grump at Artisphere, the local holiday arts & crafts show. There will be a DJ and snacks and maybe even a Yeti Sighting so obviously this is a Pro Move if we ever saw one.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Every Saturday – Sweat out all of last night’s toxins with brunch and yoga at the Dunes!
- ALL WEEK – It’s now Shop Local First Week here in DC, which means local business the “Charity Cash Mob” is ON. That’s like free altruism! Local businesses across the city will give a portion of purchases to any school or charity you choose when you mention Shop Local Week. For a full list of participating stores, click here.
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.