Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
- Monday, November 25th – Hit up Comet Ping Pong’s weekly Double Feature Mondays.
- Monday, November 25th – Or check out “INCUBUS,” starring none other than William Shatner, screened by the one and only Washington Psychotronic Film Society.
- Monday, November 25th – Get in on Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse’s $2 weekly spree with MOVIES ALL DAY. Fill your day with screenings of “Planes,” “Jobs” and “The World’s End.”
- Tuesday, November 26th – Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse’s $2 special continues tonight with screenings of “The World’s End” and “Rush.”
- Friday, November 29th – Or stop by the National Gallery of Art for a free screening of 1964’s “The Gospel According to Matthew.”
- Saturday, November 30th – OR head to the National Gallery for “Mamma Roma,” because who doesn’t love a well-done film about a hooker?
- Monday, November 25th – Head to the Kennedy Center for a free performance by the Asian American Music Society.
- Monday, November 25th – Or stop by Townhouse Tavern for a free local comedy night.
- Tuesday, November 26th – OR you can head to Hill Country BBQ for a free show with Echo Bloom (Ex-Rosemont Family Reunion).
- Tuesday, November 26th – Feel like dancing? Tap and Parlour’s weekly DJ night Classic Material should do the trick.
- Tuesday, November 26th – And if you don’t, get your sea chantey on with the U.S. Navy’s official chorus at The Kennedy Center.
- Wednesday, November 27th – If you’re still LOOKING TO DANCE after last night, it’s Little Miss Whiskey’s Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, a New Wave/Post Punk/Dark Wave DJ night.
- Wednesday, November 27th – OR you can hit up Black Whiskey’s Pre-Thanksgiving Dance Party with Sharkey.
- Wednesday, November 27th – Or you can listen to the strummin’ and pickin’ of Owen Danoff, Strathmore’s Artist in Residence, during a free show at The Kennedy Center.
- Wednesday, November 27th – Get into Hill Country’s Rock ‘N’ Twang Live Karaoke with drink specials.
- Wednesday, November 27th – Or hit up Wonderland Wednesdays at Wonderland Ballroom with THE WONDERLAND CIRCUS, a free variety show featuring comedians, musicians, storytellers, and burlesque artists.
- Thursday, November 28th – The Kennedy Center is offering FREE swing dance lessons followed by a FREE swing dance party this Thanksgiving day. (Awesome.)
- Friday, November 29th – Continuing with an awesome/nerdy/awesomely nerdy free event, The Kennedy Center presents a free evening of Adam Swanson, who’ll be performing ragtime piano music.
- Friday, November 29th – Or you could head to The Hamilton for a Free Loft Late Night.
- Friday, November 29th – OR save your dance energy for Tropicalia’s Congo y Castra.
- Saturday, November 30th – Or get in on SAO Funky Saturdays at Tropicalia.
- Saturday, November 30th – And Jonny Grave and The Tombstones play a free show at Hill Country BBQ tonight, which is bound to be a great time.
- Tuesday, November 26th – Chow down on $2 tacos and $4 margaritas at El Centro D.F. AND they now have a queer happy hour on the roof with food and drink specials. Win.
- Tuesday, November 26th – And then cap off your night with a free weekly beer pong tournament at Penn Social.
- Thursday, November 28th – Drink specials and an open mic? Head to Tabaq’s weekly Hilarious Happy Hour for a (potentially dangerous combination of) both.
- Friday, November 29th – Head to Trummer’s on Main for a free wine tasting (nothing not to love).
- All week – Watch live mural painting through the end of November as Kelly Towles covers six stories of building in fantastic paintings at The Arts Yard DC.
- Friday, November 29th – It’s Free Art Friday! Stay tuned to Facebook and Twitter for clues in a free local art scavenger hunt throughout the city.
- Sunday, December 1st – Check out Chanukah Family Spectacular at Bethesda Row for comedy, balloon twisters, live music and food, and a toy drive.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Every Saturday – Sweat out all of last night’s toxins with brunch and yoga at the Dunes!
- Thursday, November 28th – For those in need, The Fillmore is hosting a Giving Thanks event with seasonal treats, live music, take-home care packages and more. They are currently accepting donations of food, clothing and toiletries. Lend a hand if you can.
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.