Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
- Monday, October 7 – get spooky scary with Comet Ping Pong’s double feature Monday Movie Night with drink specials!
- Monday, October 7th – National Theatre is hosting a Joan Crawford retrospective throughout October and November. Tonight on the menu: “Daisy Kenyon,” about an explosive love triangle.
- Monday, October 7th – Get real weird and scifi with “Yog: Monster from Space,” as presented by those loveable Washington Pyschotronic society folks.
- Monday, October 7th – not free per se, but for $2 each you can catch a screening of “Turbo,” “The Heat” and “White House Down” at Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse
- Tuesday, October 8th – Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse’s $2 spree continues with screenings of “White House Down” and “This is the End” (and if you haven’t seen the latter, this isn’t as much a recommendation as mandatory viewing).
- Monday, October 7th – Head to a free Kennedy Center comedy performance by Rory Albanese, the executive producer of The Daily Show.
- Tuesday, October 8th – Wanna dance? Tap & Parlour’s weekly DJ night Classic Materials features records from local shops. (Neat!)
- Tuesday, October 8th – Spend your evening with Quebec’s own Yves Lambert Trio at the Kennedy Center. SPOILER ALERT: There is an accordion involved.
- Wednesday, October 9th – There is a performance of Go-go music mixed with classical music over at the Church at Clarendon. Go-Go Symphony. True story.
- Wednesday, October 9th – Get into Hill Country’s Rock ‘N’ Twang Live Karaoke with drink specials.
- Wednesday, October 9th – Support local performers at Wonderland Wednesdays, Wonderland Ballroom’s weekly variety show including music, comedy and moreeee…
- Thursday, October 10th – Ready for some culture? Washington National Opera celebrates Giuseppe Verdi’s 200th birthday with a free show at the Kennedy Center.
- Thursday, October 10th – Get ready for throwbacks with DJ Alizay’s free set at Penn Social (plus drink specials, arcade games, dancing, general merriment, etc).
- Friday, October 11th – There’s no reason not to love Galactica’s Happy Hour Show at Black Fox Lounge, featuring live musics, lip sync, actors, musicians and more in this variety show.
- Friday, October 11th – Get dancing to world music with Congo y Castro at Tropicalia (also for free).
- Saturday, October 12th – We’ve got a FREE Bentzen Ball comedy show at Howard Theatre tonight, featuring Brody Stevens, Jamel Johnson, Stephania Hasz, Nick Mullen and more.
- Saturday, October 12th – And once you’re done with that, stay right where you are for our official Bentzen Ball after party (which is $10, granted, but gets you access to hang with the comedians and dance to DJ sets by Animal Collective AND They Might Be Giants). #WORTHIT. You also get into this party for free if you buy a ticket to the Found Footage Fest Vs Everything is Terrible show. So many options.
- Saturday, October 12th – Head to Bandolero for the free FAD Georgetown afterparty.
- Monday, October 7th – Free Edgar Allan Poe lectures and craft cocktails (for purchase) inspired by the spooky author? YES. Hit up multiple participating spots around the city for this rad, one-night-only event.
- Tuesday, October 8th – Chow down on $2 tacos and $4 margaritas at El Centro D.F.
- Thursday, October 10th – Come on out and join us for the official Bentzen Ball Happy Hour at Local 16 with drink specials, FREE Magic Hat Sample Tastings, swag, beer educatin’ and more.
- Friday, October 11th – Head to Trummer’s on Main for a free wine tasting (nothing not to love here, either).
- Friday, October 11th – Miss our Bentzen Ball Magic Hat happy hour on Thursday? Never fear, we’ve got another at Policy tonight.
- Now through October 20th – Go to the Artisphere and play in the clouds: Andy Warhol’s “Silver Clouds” are there for your pleasure, free of charge.
- Monday, October 7th – Explore how Shakespeare has changed over the last 400 years and make your way through over 100 set designs, scripts, props, costumes and more at Folger Theatre’s Here is a Play Fitted exhibition.
- Thursday, October 10th – Saturday, October 12th – Fashion + Art + Design launches in first ever, full-on style glory throughout Georgetown. Head that way for trunk shows, a design and home furnishings showcase, gallery walks and public art.
- Sunday, October 13th – Discover a new favorite author at DCJCC’s Local Author Fair.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Every Saturday – Sweat out all of last night’s toxins with brunch and yoga at the Dunes!
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.