Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
- Today is the LAST DAY to donate to the Smithsonian in hopes of them reaching their $300,000 goal in funding deficit and maintaining their ability to provide us with wonderful free cultural events and permanent programming year on out. DONATE HERE.
- Monday, September 30th – Capital Pride is getting into the swing of Halloween things early this year, with this a screening of (OMG!) Hocus Pocus for free @ Stead Park
- Monday, September 30th – National Theatre is hosting a Joan Crawford retrospective throughout October and November. Tonight on the menu: POSSESSED, a dark love story that resulted in an Oscar nomination for Joan.
- Monday, September 30th – Hatchet for the Honeymoon, as presented by those loveable Washington Pyschotronic society folks.
- Tuesday, October 1st – not free per se, but for $2 each you can catch a screening of two of the funniest movies of this summer: “THIS IS THE END” and “THE HEAT” @ Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse
- Friday, October 5th – Lamont Park free movies. Click here for updates and to, you know, find out which movie is playing this Friday
- Friday, October 4th – Union Market is bringing the encore edition of their Drive-In movies, and things kick off this Friday with CADDYSHACK, in celebration of National Golf Day. BE THE BALL.
- Saturday, October 5th – National Gallery celebrates the era of Vaclav Havel, with several Czech films. All free.
- Wednesday, October 2nd – Listen Local First presents Black Alley @ Kennedy Center Millenium Stage
- Friday, October 4th – BODY JAM, DC’s pre-eminent aerobics themed dance party is hosting their 2nd year anniversary (AND CALENDAR RELEASE!) @ Looking glass lounge
- Saturday, October 5th – much like most recent Saturdays there is a FREE outdoor show at The Lot at Union Kitchen! There will be food trucks, beer, wine, mixed drinks, and music provided by NYC’s Watermelon & DC’s own Frank Mitchell trio and The Carribean!
- Saturday, October 5th – the Takoma Street Festival features free music perfomances from 18 local acts, including BYT favorites Christylez Bacon, The Sweater set and more.
- Sunday, October 6th – Looking Glass Lounge anniversary party
- Wednesday, October 2nd – Free Wine Tasting @ Zaytinya!
- Monday, September 30th – DISTRICT OF LITERATURE-a full day free literary festival @ Library of Congress AND Folger.
- Monday, September 30th– as part of their THE LARAMIE PROJECT programming, Ford’s Theatre is hosting a free talk with Judy Shepard, Matthew Shepard’s Mom and author of “With Malice Toward None: A Mother’s Response to Hate”
- Now through October 20th – Go to the Artisphere and play in the clouds: Andy Warhol’s “Silver Clouds” are there for your pleasure, free of charge.
- ARTOMATIC is happening all this week, in Frederick.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Every Saturday – Sweat out all of last night’s toxins with brunch and yoga at the Dunes!
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.