Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
The outdoor movie series may be over but that just means it’s time to head inside and watch a movie in a darkened room with a ceiling, the way they’re supposed to be viewed.
- Thursday, September 19th – Treasure your intact toes while watching Russian ballerinas spin around in The Blue Train.
- Friday, September 20th – A Page of Madness screens at the Freer Gallery – a silent film classic from a Nobel Prize winning author and a forward thinking director. This includes a live score and is one of the reasons the Smithsonian makes this town magical.
- Saturday, September 21st – Civil War buffs will want to make it to the National Gallery of Art for a screening of The Massachusetts 54th Colored Infantry at 2:30om.
- Sunday, September 22nd – After a day spent at music festivals on H Street and at Merriweather, a gorgeous Japanese film in a museum may be what you need. The Makioka Sisters screens at the Freer, for free, at 2pm.
- PLUS: Keep an eye on our film section for ongoing MOVIE TICKET AND PREVIEW GIVEAWAYS. We do one or two a week on average.
- Monday, September 16th – Put some experimental noise in your ears at SONIC CIRCUITS at the Millennium Stage.
- Monday, September 16th – It’s time to kick off your week with another Donovan’s Day Off at the DNV rooftop. Dance to Nacey from MISUN, chillax with $5 beers, half-price wines, cocktails and sangria, and take in the District from poolside and way up high.
- Wednesday, September 18th – Sit back and enjoy some of our favorite folk/indie artists Dave Klinger and Marian McLaughlin at MELODIES & MOMOS at Mad Momos.
- Thursday, September 19th – It may not be free, but it’s awfully cheap and should be awfully funny. DC comic Kyle Martin records his first special for only $5 at Bier Baron. Support the urban pioneer (Urban Pioneer is the name of the special.).
- Saturday, September 21st – FreeFest is free if you’re one of the lucky few that got some free tickets. You could have volunteered and gone for free, but those tickets are gone too.
- Saturday, September 21st – Enjoy some good food and enjoy some good bands at THE LOT @ Union Market. Paperhaus headlines a free show.
- Saturday, September 21st – Spend the final Saturday of summer outside on H Street at the H STREET FESTIVAL! BANDS! FOOD! OTHER THINGS THAT DESERVE EXCITEMENT!
- Now through September 30th – Adams Morgan favorite Tryst is offering their menu at 1998 prices. The Clinton years sound quite nice. It’s been a weird 15 years.
- Now through October 20th – Go to the Artisphere and play in the clouds: Andy Warhol’s “Silver Clouds” are there for your pleasure, free of charge.
- Saturday, September 21 and Sunday, September 22nd – It’s the National Book Festival! Put the Kindle down and get some papercuts!
- Check our agenda for a plethora of art exhibitions open throughout the month!
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Every Saturday – Sweat out all of last night’s toxins with brunch and yoga at the Dunes!
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.