Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around D.C. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- FIRST THINGS FIRST: Our FREE SUMMER OUTDOOR Concert Guide is out now. Use it and abuse it. Three series continue through September.
- It may be September but it’s still hot outside: Our DC ICE CREAM GUIDE.
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
Now onto this week:
Outdoor movie season is almost over and it makes us very sad! There’s only one this week! One! That’s not enough! Luckily there are some quality choices inside, for free, at the National Gallery of Art.
- Wednesday, September 4th – Ballets Russes Dances: The Rites of Spring @ National Gallery of Art – ditch work and catch up on some (filmed) culture.
- Wednesday, September 11 – Check out Family Meal’s last drive-in movie of the summer with “Back to the Future,” which is obviously a pro pick if we ever saw one.
- Sunday, September 15 – The National Gallery of Art is screening “Glory” and obviously you should go.
- PLUS: Keep an eye on our film section for ongoing MOVIE TICKET AND PREVIEW GIVEAWAYS. We do one or two a week on average.
- Monday, September 9 – It’s time to kick off your week with another Donovan’s Day Off at the DNV rooftop. Dance to DJ Gavin Holland and DJ Smudge, chillax with $5 beers, half-price wines, cocktails and sangria, and take in the District from poolside and way up high.
- Monday, September 9 – SPORTS. Head to Howard Theatre for a free hometeam season kickoff party.
- Monday, September 9 – Singer/dummer/songwriter Isabella De Leon takes the Kennedy Center’s Millenium Stage for free tonight.
- Wednesday, September 11 – If you’re looking for a id-week pick-me-up, Hill Country Barbecue’s got Rock N’ Twang Live Band Karaoke, complete with drink specials.
- Wednesday, September 11 – Like comedy? Like music? Like tongue-in-cheek religion? Welcome to the fold at Wonderland Ballroom’s Church Night. Get pumped for sing-a-long hymns and a shots-n-tots communion with this week’s guests, Margot MacDonald, Dainty Dandridge, Ruth Rasby, and Cherry Tree.
- Wednesday, September 11 – If you’re looking for a touch of Latin flavor, Los Texmaniacs play the Kennedy Center for free.
- Thursday, September 12 – Come throw back some beers and celebrate/learn about the new Fair Trade Music initiative with a very special happy hour at The Big Board.
- Tuesday, September 10 – Get your beer tastings on @ Bier Baron (this AND EVERY Tuesday)
- Thursday, September 12 – Mix booze and open mic comedy with Tabaq’a Hilarious Happy Hour.
- Thursday, September 12 – Artisphere kicks off their new exhibit “Andy Warhol: Silver Clouds” with a FREE public opening reception, including FREE admission to all galleries. FREE.
- Friday, September 13 – If you’re still a-hankerin’ for some art, Ritz-Carlton Georgetown launches its Fall Fine Art series with a one-night exhibition from SARDAR. RSVP here.
- Friday, September 13 – And if that’s STILL not enough, Civilian Art Projects is opening not one but two exhibitions this week. Check out Nikki Painter’s “NEON PLANAR” and Marissa Long’s “OFFERINGS.”
- Check our agenda for a plethora of art exhibitions open throughout the month!
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Donation-based yoga! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Every Saturday – Sweat out all of last night’s toxins with brunch and yoga at the Dunes!
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.