Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around D.C. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- FIRST THINGS FIRST: Our FREE SUMMER OUTDOOR Concert Guide is out now. Use it and abuse it.
- Also: our FREE OUTDOOR MOVIE GUIDE is available.
- And since it’s still August: Our DC ICE CREAM GUIDE
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
- You should be. Now onto this week:
Outdoor movie season is almost over and it makes us very sad! So make the most of your final few weeks of warm weather and out movies, pack some food, gather some friends, lay down a blanket and enjoy!
- Monday, August 19th – Crystal Screen brings you dreams within dreams within dreams featuring Leonardo DiCaprio with Christopher Nolan’s “Inception.”
- Wednesday, August 21st – U Street Movie Series brings “Summer Wars,” a fantastic anime film about crazy stuff on the Internet.
- Friday, August 23rd – Cry and watch Russell Crowe do some math at Mosiac’s Film in the Park’s screening of “A Beautiful Mind.”
- Friday, August 23rd – Reminisce about those great (or not so great) high school years through “American Graffiti” at the Rosslyn Outdoor Film Festival.
- Friday, August 23rd – “The Avengers” is screening at the Carter Barron Amphitheatre as a part of Comcast Outdoor Film Festival. Come see superheroes kick some ass and see Robert Downey, Jr. play himself.
- Saturday, August 24th – As part of the Comcast Outdoor Film Festival, Oz: The Great and Powerful is screening at the Carter Barron Amphitheatre. Lions, tiger, and bears, oh my!
- Monday, August 19th – Want to laugh? Then check out WAIF Comedy’s “Everyone is Stupid But Me” show at Shaw’s Tavern. All women, all comedy, all funny.
- Thursday, August 22nd – Get your spandex ready for Real Geniuses, an 80s tribute band, playing Rock the Row.
- Friday, August 23rd – Irish rock? Sure why not. Get your Irish rock fix with Donegal X-press (what a name) at Friday Night Live in Bethesda.
- Friday, August 23rd – Proudly sing all of those songs you love to hate at Philantropub’s Gulity Pleasure Dance Party.
- Friday, August 23rd – Get cultured with Jazz in the Garden. This week, check out the zydeco, cajun, Louisiana funk band Dixie Power Trio.
- Friday, August 23rd – Gay Bash. Black Cat. Drag, glitter, lots of gays, lots of fun.
- Two words: Restaurant Week!!! Check out our list of recommended restaurants and helpful links in surviving the week.
- Monday, August 19th – Head to Donovan’s Day Off to enjoy cheap drinks and great music. Plus, it’s outside and this weather has been amazing. Enjoy it!
- Tuesday, August 20th – Everyone loves beer. So why wouldn’t you want to hit up a beer tasting at The Bier Baron Tavern??
- Saturday, August 24th- COOKIES AND CREAM BYT PARTY WOOOO
- Monday, August 19th – Witness the contemporary dance ensemble perform Nejla Yatkin’s “Oasis” at the Kennedy Center Millennium Stage. “Oasis” is based off of Yatkin’s experience as a Middle Eastern woman in a Western world.
- Saturday, August 24th – If you’re feeling crafty, head to Art on 8th for grown-up arts and crafts using recycled materials. Fun AND environmentally friendly.
- Saturdays – CORCORAN is hosting their FREE SUMMER SATURDAYS. Take your visiting friends and family to a place with culture. Your friends and family didn’t visit to DC to not see art.
- Check our agenda for a plethora of art exhibitions open throughout the month!
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Monday – Yoga! Chataranga all night and get your “ommm” on.
- Every Saturday – Sweat out all of last night’s toxins with brunch and yoga at the Dunes!
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.