Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around D.C. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So, time to plan the week!
- FIRST THINGS FIRST: Our FREE SUMMER OUTDOOR Concert Guide is out now. Use it and abuse it.
- Also: our FREE OUTDOOR MOVIE GUIDE is out.
- And since it’s still hot outside: Our DC ICE CREAM GUIDE
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of.
- You should care. Now onto this week:
Outdoor movie season is almost over! Take advantage of the final few weeks of the outside silver screen, pack a picnic basket, lay down a blanket and enjoy!
- Monday, August 12th – Screen on the Green concludes with “Tootsie.” It’s a movie about a man dressed as a woman and learns a lesson about being a woman and that’s nice.
- Monday, August 12th – “Jaws” is showing as part of the Crystal Screen and will remind everyone that horrible things happen to horrible and good people in the water.
- Wednesday, August 14th – NOMA Summer Screen brings us “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” a movie that could never exist today because if someone tried to lead a parade without the proper warrants it would be considered terrorism.
- Thursday, August 15th – The Family Meal Summer Drive-in Movie Series screens“The Never Ending Story.” This movie is a lie. There is a sequel. There are multiple endings.
- Friday, August 16th – Mosaic’s Films in the Park in Alexandria will screen “Dead Poets Society” because oh captain, my captain or something.
- Friday, August 16th – The Rosslyn Outdoor Film Festival screens “High School Musical 3: Senior Year.” This movie teaches the valuable lesson of spring break forever.
- Saturday, August 17th – Cinema Del Ray shows “Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted.” It’s a kids movie about animal trafficking.
- Monday, August 12th -An acoustic start to the week might be nice and calming. Five local-ish acts open for Meridian of Signals Midwest from Cleveland at The Dougout in NE.
- Monday, August 12th – Keep the mellow going at the Kennedy Center with Cuddle Magic, another group of six singer-songwriters.
- Monday, August 12th – Start the work week off in class, on a rooftop. Gavin Holland hosts this weekly series at the Donovan House, aptly titled “Donovan’s Day Off.” This week features one of our own, ANDREW BUCKET.
- Monday, August 12th – Are you a songwriter? Not sure what to do with the song you’re writing? Maybe the Artist Salon: What’s New? could help. Head to The Pinch to participate in the songwriting process!
- Every Wednesday –save the date for WONDERLAND Wednesdays – a weekly free show with musicians, comedians, story tellers and more. This week is CHURCH NIGHT!
- Thursday, August 15th – The Bannermen take over Source with “Lesser Known Tales,” a free one-act improvised play.
- Friday, August 16th – We don’t usually send folks to a rooftop bar across the street from the White House to check out indie rock for free, but this is not a usual time. Head to the POV ROOFTOP BAR at the W HOTEL for a free with RSVP set from THE EASTERN SEA.
- Saturday, August 17th – It’s not free but it’s worth it, TRILLECTRO takes over DC Fairgrounds! Say hello to WALE
- It’s all about beer during BEER WEEK!
- Monday, August 12th – DMV Does Beer: A Celebration of Breweries from DC, MD and VA will educate the drinking public on DC Brau, Evolution Craft Brewing and Lost Rhino Brewing at Kramerbooks.
- Monday, August 12th – DC Beer Week celebrates Delaware beer at Penn Social with Dogfish Head & Old Dominion.
- Thursday, August 15th – Didn’t get enough Dogfish at Penn Social on Monday? Go back downtown for the Dogfish Head tap takeover and bocce tournament. Winners will receive gift certificates and probably beer. It’s safe to guess you can win free beer.
- Friday, August 16th – The tap takeover continues at Penn Social on Friday night with the New Belgium tap takeover and rolle bolle tournament. You can win a bike! Bike and drink! That’s not safe!
- Don’t forget, COOKIES AND CREAM IS COMING!!!
- Fridays – JAZZ IN THE GARDEN returns to the National Gallery of Art with Doc Scantlin’s Palmettos.
- Saturday, August 17th – Meet a fellow artist at the Menkiti Group Offices for the DC Artist Exchange. Swap services for art materials. This sounds illegal. It is not. Register in advance, the event is limited to 40 individuals.
- Saturdays – CORCORAN is hosting their FREE SUMMER SATURDAYS. Take your visiting friends and family to a place with air conditioning. Your friends and family didn’t visit to DC to not see art.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring.