Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around D.C. Every Monday we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials and hot tips for budget survival. PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected] for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So…lets dig in.
- FIRST THINGS FIRST: Our FREE SUMMER OUTDOOR Concert Guide is out now. Use it and abuse it.
- Also: our FREE OUTDOOR MOVIE GUIDE is out.
- GENTLE REMINDER: Consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of. SO-SIGN UP. It’s the American thing to do.
- On Tuesday we’ll have a very helpful FOURTH OF JULY guide to guide you on your American activities.
- NOW, onto this week:
Now that the outdoor movie season is here and in full swing, never spend another night staring at Netflix, unless, you know, it’s raining.
- Monday, July 1st – The National Theatre continues their MOVIE CLASSICS series with “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.” The story of an idealistic politician filibustering for what’s right seems all-too pertinent.
- Monday, July 1st – “American Beauty” is showing as part of the Crystal Screen outdoor movie series. Remember that one? It won Best Picture at the Academy Awards and it featured a plastic bag.
- Wednesday, July 3rd – NOMA Summer Screen brings us “The Fuggitive.” This movie involves a fake hand. This movie should have been scheduled the week after July 4
- Friday, July 5th – “Field of Dreams” is showing at Mosaic Films in Strawberry Park. This film is perfect for the guy that just wanted to play catch with dad but never did so he took a bunch of mushrooms and played catch with long-dead baseball players. If you’re nuts and play catch with no one, this film is for you!/li>
- Friday, June 5th – “Bring It On” will teach people to bring stuff on at Rosslyn Outdoor Film Festival.
- Friday, July 5th – See “Yankee Doodle Dandy” at the Heurich House Garden
- Tuesday, July 2nd – Visit the technically new bar Dr. Clock’s Nowhere Bar to check out the experimental noise project No Paris.
- Every Wednesday –save the date for WONDERLAND Wednesdays – a weekly free show with musicians, comedians, story tellers and more.
- Wednesday, July 3rd – There was supposed to be a gun rally on the Mall on July 4 but that didn’t happen for obvious reasons. The counter-rally, The Toy Gun March, is happening. Get wet.
- Thursday, July 4th – Spend the holiday with us at the Capitol Skyline Hotel because it’s everything you want from a pool/American/DJ/fun/pie eating/costumed/boozy/wet party. You will feel like this…
- Thursday, July 4th – Jonny Grave plays American blues on America’s big day at a place to eat America’s best food (BBQ). Hide from the fireworks, or at least the crowds, in the basement of Hill Country Barbecue.
- Grill – Because the President does it with Bobby Flay for America. GET PRO TIPS ON DOING THAT THE RIGHT WAY, RIGHT HERE.
- Smithsonian Folk-Life festival returns July 3rd and runs through July 7th. This year focuses on Hungarian Heritage, endangered languages and adornment.
- Thursday, July 4th – Look up because this will be going on.
- also, ongoing:
- Lumen8 Anacostia kicked off their summer programming. The opening was excellent. You have until August 10 to make it to Anacostia.
- Fridays – JAZZ IN THE GARDEN returns to the National Gallery of Art after last week’s stupid rain.
- Saturdays – CORCORAN is hosting their FREE SUMMER SATURDAYS. You probably have some friends visiting this weekend. Take them to the Corcoran.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Tuesday – Pilates in the Park – Free Pilates classes in Farragut Square Park, 5:30-6:30 p.m. Bring your own mat! Instruction will be provided by certified teachers from Yoga District.
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring