Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday – we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials, and hot tips for budget survival. ALSO-PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected], for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So-lets dig in.
- FIRST THINGS FIRST: Our FREE SUMMER OUTDOOR Concert Guide is out now. Use it and abuse it.
- Also: our FREE OUTDOOR MOVIE GUIDE.
- GENTLE REMINDER: you should consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: Paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of. SO-SIGN UP.
- NOW, onto this week:
Now that the outdoor movie season is here and in full swing, you’re spoiled for choice (providing the rain stays away)
- Monday, June 24th – National Theatre continues their MOVIE CLASSICS series, and it is all Jimmy Stewart all the time this summer. Catch the Philadelphia Story tonight . Watch for: some of the sharpest dialogue EVER in the movies, Katharine Hepburn’s terrific beaded gown, and hot tips about how to properly kiss a lady:
- Monday, June 24th – Wizard of Oz is showing as part of the Crystal Screen outdoor movie series.
- Monday, June 24th – get super weird with the Washington Psychotronic film society tonight. On the roster: PIN, which looks 8 levels of weird. FOR FREE. Click here for details.
- Wednesday, June 26th – NOMA Summer Screen brings us The Breakfast Club
- Thursday, June 27th – The Hulk playing at the Capitol Riverfront
- Friday, June 28th – DAZED AND CONFUSED is showing at Mosaic Films in Strawberry Park. Tune in for a chance to see Renee Zelwegger before she turned into a lemon face AND Parker Posey in one of the her greatest silver screen moments ever, as a class A Senior Sadist.
- Friday, June 28th – 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU is on the curriculum at the Rosslyn Gateway Park movies
- Friday, June 28th – COLD WAR is playing @ FREER SACKLER . From the website: “Aaron Kwok and Tony Leung Ka Fai head up an all-star cast in this blockbuster thriller from first-time directors Leung Longman and Sunny Lok. The kidnapping of five officers right under the nose of the police department’s surveillance system sets off a search for a mole and a power struggle between Kwok and Leung, who play the codirectors of Police Affairs. Balancing a clever, twist-filled plot, exciting action scenes, and surprising psychological depth, Cold War provides the kind of rich entertainment Hong Kong movies are famous for.”
- Friday, June 28th – catch SOME LIKE IT HOT at the Heurich House Garden
- Monday, June 24th – Diego Garcia (formerly of Elefant) is playing a free show @ Kennedy Center Millenium Stage
- Tuesday, June 25th – we’re hosting our 2nd Happy Hour for the SUMMER PUNCHED Series. This one is at the Brixton. There will be fancy drinks on the cheap, and probably a bunch fo giveaway.
- Every Wednesday –save the date for WONDERLAND Wednesdays – a weekly free show with musicians, comedians, story tellers and more.
- Thursday, June 27th – Rhythm in NOMA concert series features Raddy and the Cats
- Thursday, June 27th – it is the last Thursday of the month so it must be FREE Burlesque time at the GIBSON.
- Friday, June 28th – Late night @ Living Social presents CAKE & KISSES dance party.
- Saturday, June 29th – ART SOIREE presents their free Saturday Rooftop Fusion series. RSVP for free entry.
- Free treats from the Ben & Jerry’s truck – for the month of June, the truck in back in DC. Tweet at them with
#OMGFreeBenJerrys for a chance of a stop-by with free ice treats at your doorstep. (we have the full ice cream truck scoop right here)
- BONUS: they’re doing this event this weekend to close-out. SIGN UP here to volunteer + get to go to the free party/eat the free ice-cream afterwards
- Smithsonian Folk-Life festival kicks of on June 26th and goes through June 30th, then returns July 3rd. This year focuses on Hungarian Heritage, endangered languages and adornment.
- Capital Fringe hosts their annual preview on June 28th. The party is free and a great way to start sorting through ALL THE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW to make it through the festival.
- also, ongoing:
- Lumen8 Anacostia kicked off their summer programming. Last year was wonderful, don’t miss this year.
- Fridays – JAZZ IN THE GARDEN hits full swing @ National Gallery of Art. That means summer is officially here.
- Saturdays – CORCORAN is hosting their FREE SUMMER SATURDAYS as of last weekend. GO.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Tuesday – Pilates in the Park – Free Pilates classes in Farragut Square Park, 5:30-6:30 p.m. Bring your own mat! Instruction will be provided by certified teachers from Yoga District.
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring