Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday – we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials, and hot tips for budget survival. ALSO-PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected], for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So-lets dig in.
- FIRST THINGS FIRST: Our FREE SUMMER OUTDOOR Concert Guide is out now. Use it and abuse it.
- Also: SCREEN ON THE GREEN schedule just got announced and it has been added to our FREE OUTDOOR MOVIE GUIDE. 1 Word: Tootsie
- GENTLE REMINDER: you should consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: Paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of. SO-SIGN UP.
- NOW, onto this week:
Now that the outdoor movie season is here and in full swing, you’re spoiled for choice (providing the rain stays away)
- Monday, June 3rd- Crystal Screen kicks off their summer season with E.T. Pass the kleenex.
- Monday, June 3rd- Catch OZ, The Great and Powerful for a bargain $2 @ Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse.
- Wednesday, June 5th – NOMA Summer Screen is playing Princess Bride. Inconceivable!
- Wednesday, June 5th – Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory are playing at Bryan Voltaggio’s Family Meal Drive-In. Little surprises around every corner.
- Thursday, June 6th – Summer Camp Film Series @ Hirshhorn kicks off with a screening of THE BREED: Nicholas Mastandrea’s first feature may have debuted at Cannes, but it’s purebred Rex-ploitation. This over-the-top gory story provides plenty of fodder for nightmares, as an idyllic, apparently deserted island proves host to a pack of snarly wags who’d like nothing better than to feast on human intruders. The feral peril is not for the faint of heart.
- Thursday, June 6th – Green Lantern descends upon Capitol Riverfront outdoor movie series. Sadly, not all that much recommended. Minus the Ryan Reynolds abs viewing opportunities, of course.
- Friday, June 7th – RISKY BUSINESS is playing @ Rosslyn Gateway Park. Watch it for early signs of Tom Cruise insanity and early signs of forever Rebecca De Mornay inspired wet dreams for most men born around 1980.
- Friday, June 7th – BACK TO THE FUTURE is playing @ Strawberry Park. You’re going to see some serious shit.
- Saturday, June 8th – Black Maria – Selections from the Festival are playing @ National Gallery of Art. Named for Thomas Edison’s pioneering New Jersey film studio, this renowned festival competition is now in its 31st year. A selection of the festival’s best documentary and experimental shorts from new and experienced independent filmmakers is culled from their December 2012 judging and is presented by Black Maria’s founding director, John Columbus. Included in the line-up are Nile Perch, Bridge, Here and Away, Fordland, Fanfare for Marching Band, and The Lost Interview of Ray Bradbury.
- Sunday, June 9th – another opportunity to see BACK TO THE FUTURE (never too many opportunities, in our opinion), at the Lake Anne Summer Film Festival.
- Sunday, June 9th – The Bullet @ Freer Sackler – Here is the synopsis: In this moody mystery, set in the 1920s, a munitions factory worker accused of stealing a box of bullets dies in a game of Russian roulette that was rigged by her corrupt boss. Soon afterward, a murder occurs at the factory and the bullet mysteriously disappears from the scene. The workers believe their dead colleague’s ghost is seeking revenge, and the police hire obsessive investigator Donglu (Lau Ching-wan) and his sharpshooting partner Guo Zhi (Nicholas Tse) to solve the case.
- THE BIG ONE! Saturday, June 8th – Hey Capital Pride!Thank you for booking this INSANE free show for the Capital Stage on Parade Day – Icona Pop, Emelie Sande and Cher Lloyd perform + 3 finalists on this season of Rupaul’s Drag Race: Roxxxy Andrews, Alaska ThunderFuck & winner Jinkx Monsoon!
- Lots of free events happening courtesy of DC JAZZ FESTIVAL too.
- Friday, June 7th – Meso Creso’s 1001 Beats Party @ Zeba – free and all.
- Friday, June 7th – BODY JAM sweats your way into the summer @ Looking Glass Lounge.
- Monday, June 3rd – Industry Night @ Graffiato – The first Monday of each month, Graffiato is turning over the stoves to chef friends and mixologists to help co-host industry night. From 10pm to 1am, guest chefs will serve complimentary late night snacks at the first floor pizza bar, and the bar will offer drink specials, including some libations from guest mixologists. This month the guests are: Jamie Bissonnette Chef/partner Toro, Coppa, and Toro NYC, Chris Ford, Executive Pastry Chef, Wit & Wisdom, PABU and LAMILL Coffee, Jonah Kim, Executive Chef, PABU and Tiffany Soto, Beverage Manager and Master Sake Sommelier, Four Seasons Hotel, Baltimore
- Is your birthday in June? Get FREE DIPPIN’ DOTS. (via WTOP)
- Free treats from the Ben & Jerry’s truck – for the month of June, the truck in back in DC. Tweet at them with
#OMGFreeBenJerrys for a chance of a stop-by with free ice treats at your doorstep.
- This weekend-SUPERNOVA Arts Festival descends upon Roslyn. Lots of amazing, free opportunities to see performance art and more. DO IT.
- Fridays – JAZZ IN THE GARDEN hits full swing @ National Gallery of Art. That means summer is officially here.
- Saturdays – CORCORAN is hosting their FREE SUMMER SATURDAYS as of last weekend. GO.
- Saturday – Art Soiree hosts ROOFTOP FUSION. Art+music+people watching on the Beacon Rooftop. FREE with RSVP.
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Tuesday, June 4th – $2 Tuesdays @ Nationals Park – see them play the Mets for the price of a pack of gum. Beers are still $8 though. (via Washington On the Cheap)
- Every Tuesday – Pilates in the Park – Free Pilates classes in Farragut Square Park, 5:30-6:30 p.m. every Tuesday now through June 25. Bring your own mat! Instruction will be provided by certified teachers from Yoga District.
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring