Here we focus exclusively on the cheapest YET most satisfying entertainment to be found around DC. Every Monday – we highlight free and almost free activities, a choice happy hour or two, food specials, and hot tips for budget survival. ALSO-PLEASE POST YOUR FREE EVENTS (FOR FREE!) ON OUR AGENDA PAGE or send us FREE TIPS to [email protected], for inclusion in the future FREE THINGS guide. So-lets dig in.
- FOREVER USEFUL: Our OUTDOOR SUMMER FREE MOVIE GUIDE IS LIVE. From high school movies to Jane Austen picnic viewings to Jaws, there is a little something for everyone there. Use it always.
- GENTLE REMINDER: you should consider joining the new-and-improved BYT VIP program, called VIPERS (yes!) which is all about making your life better with awesome things like: Paid reserves at select (already) sold-out shows, hugs-heavy bus trips to where-the-hell-is-that venues like Merriweather Post Pavilion, pre-release MP3s and promo CD downloads, members-only ticket giveaways and discounts, priority line-jumping at BYT events, tons of loot we get from labels and PR people that we don’t know what to do with, exclusive pre-pre-pre-sales, monthly secret happy hours where you can huddle amongst the rest of the VIPER elite + pick up extra schwag, super sweet Vipers-only pow wows with some of your favorite musicians, artists and local celebs…. and, well, anything else we can think of. SO-SIGN UP.
- NOW, onto this week:
- Tuesday-May 28th – The Revolutionary Optimists is screening at the Hill Center. Brief synopsis: Children are saving lives in the slums of Kolkata. Amlan Ganguly doesn’t rescue slum children; he empowers them to become change agents, battling poverty and transforming their neighborhoods with dramatic results. Filmed over the course of several years, The Revolutionary Optimists follows Amlan and three of the children he works with on an intimate journey through adolescence, as they fight for the better future he encourages them to imagine is deservedly theirs
- Wednesday – May 29th – NOMA Summer Screen is showing STAR TREK: The Future Begins. Low on Cumberbatch, high on everything else.
- Thursday – May 30th – Capitol Riverfront is showing CAPTAIN AMERICA as their free outdoor movie. We salute this, mainly as an opportunity to post this gif of Chris Evans’ pecs.
- Friday-May 31st – Mosaic is showing BRAVE. Which is a sad, sad, movie masquerading as a girl power epic, but you know-each to their own.
- Friday-May 31st – WRECK IT RALPH is screening at Crescent Cinema. Bring your own lawn chairs.
- Friday-May 31st – Roslyn BID steps up their high school movie series @ Gateway park game and brings us CLUELESS. Virgins who can’t drive are welcome.
- Wednesday, May 29th – YACHT ROCK NIGHT @ Little Miss Whiskeys. Nothing not to like.
- Thursday, May 30th – SUMMER SEND-OFF @ Velvet Lounge. All sorts of BYT favorites (incl. Gavin Holland, Will88, Phillip Goyette and Tommy Cornelis) DJ a great summer jam.
- Friday, May 31st – Luce Unplugged local showcase @ American Arts Museum. Featuring: “America Hearts, Lyriciss, and More Humans, selected with the help of City Paper’s managing editor, Jonathan L. Fischer”. BONUS: A cash bar will offer samples of new beers and local brewery Port City Brewing will offer free tastings from 6 to 7 p.m. to visitors twenty-one and older.
- TONIGHT! – Not free per se BUT we are hosting a delightful SUMMER PUNCH themed happy hour at Boundary Stone with Bulleit and Captain morgan punches and it will be awesome and affordable and will 99.9% involve a ton of giveaways too.
- FREE GLASS OF SPARKLING WINE: Check in and like Bistro Bohem on Foursquare and get a free glass of sparkling wine with your order. Offer ends Friday, May 31.
- FREE ITALIAN WATER ICE -“Steak & Ice is pulling a rolling takeover of Taylor Gourmet shops around D.C. May 28-31. Starting at 11 a.m. each day, at the Taylor Gourmet location of the day, they’ll cook up 50 cheesesteaks and sell them first-come first-serve until they’re gone. Buy a cheesesteak and you’ll get a free Italian water ice. You’ll find them Tuesday at the Penn Quarter location, Wednesday at Dupont Circle, Thursday at 14th St. and Friday at City Vista” (VIA WTOP)
- FREE BAR SNACKS – Piola, the new pizza place on 14th street we wrote about last week has a pretty unbeatable happy hour situation. Not only does it happen every day (yes, even weekends) and includes free bites around the bar (we’re talking small pizzas, spiced olives, meats and cheeses, gourmet pizza rolls, small sandwiches, bruschetta and more).
- Wednesday, May 29th – POP QUIZ! @ National Portrait Gallery – happy hour + trivia nigh featuring some of DC’s most famous sons and daughters.
- Thursday, May 30th – DC Queer Theatre Festival Hits the Meade Theatre Lab
- Friday, May 31st – JAZZ IN THE GARDEN hits full swing @ National Gallery of Art. That means summer is officially here.
- Saturday, June 1st – CORCORAN is hosting their FREE SUMMER SATURDAYS as of last weekend. GO. (image: Edward Hopper. Ground Swell. 1939. Oil on canvas. 36 3/16 x 50 1/16 in. (91.9 x 127.2 cm). Museum Purchase, William A. Clark Fund, 1943. 43.6)
GENERAL WELL BEING:
- Every Tuesday – Pilates in the Park – Free Pilates classes in Farragut Square Park, 5:30-6:30 p.m. every Tuesday now through June 25. Bring your own mat! Instruction will be provided by certified teachers from Yoga District.
Feel free to leave us your suggestions in the comments. Sharing is the new caring