all photos: Jeff Martin
Places to eat on 14th street are (more than) plentiful and diverse (enough) these days but one thing they are almost all seriously lacking is space. Sure, your favorites are great for a dinner for two and a few girlfriends tucked at a bar for an early happy hour (you know, before things get competitive), but gather a large group and… all of a sudden, you’re in trouble.
Well, Provision No.14, which opens tomorrow at the old Diego location on 14th and V, is here to change all that. The first project by the newly formed Social Restaurant Group definitely thinks BIG.
Not only are there 2 floors (more dining centric downstairs and the more loungey upstairs) but there is plenty of outdoor seating and their food and beverage is all meant to be shared. And we don’t mean that in that old-fashioned small-plate DC way – nope, we’re talking BOARDS of food (including the mouth-watering sounding lamb ribs, or whole braised,dried and deep fried suckling pig leg), and cocktails by draught and in french presses, and big tables that fit couples in multiples.
Though, don’t worry – if you are flying smaller scale on any given night, there’s less megalomaniacal (we only use this word with love, btw) options including house made pastas, and a selection of other composed plates, including the very seasonal ready Burrata with compressed melon, iberico ham & praline crunch or a more hearty Cassoulet Salad with fava beans, confit quail & garlic vinaigrette.
And, did we mention just how GORGEOUS the space is? Just soak these photos in:
And, now that you got yourself acquainted (and excited) for the space – it is spring drinking season after all, so… as far as the cocktails go, here are some highlights we tried:
- Provision Mai-Tai – Rum, orgeat, orange juice, lime, Angostura bitters – On draught, served by the glass and bottle, garnished with fresh flowers – $10/$40
- Grapefruit Press – Stolichnaya Vodka, grapefruit, mint, basil – Served in a French press with grapefruit and mint garnishes that infuse in the cocktail as it sits and develops the flavor overtime – $42
- Seasonal Slush – Beefeater Dry Gin, watermelon, grapefruit, basil – frozen slushy garnished with microbasil – $11
- Moscow Mule – Ultimat Vodka, Chinese five spice, ginger, lime – frozen slushy garnished with fresh ginger – $11
- Metronome – Bulleit Rye Whiskey, Don Ciccio Amaro, absinthe bitters – Signature cocktail served in a coup – $14
And imagine drinking them here:
Provision No. 14 is soft open as we speak BUT officially opens its doors tomorrow at 2100 14th Street NW. OPENING NIGHT BONUS: On Wednesday, 4/29, the 14th Street Corridor restaurant will open to the public for dinner from 4-10pm and share a glass of complimentary bubbly with all dinner guests in celebration of its first night of operation.