all photos: Stephanie Breijo
It seems like that it has been YEARS since the rumors of BRIXTON, opening on the corner of 9th and U, started. Brought to you by Eric Hilton’s team in charge of such U Street mainstays as Marvin, Gibson, Patty Boom Boom, Blackbyrd and American Ice Co, it has been probably the most anticipated addition to the 10-block radius surrounding the corridor.
Well, we’re happy to report: the wait is over. BRIXTON will open its doors this Sunday at 11am. And-we’re EVEN HAPPIER to report: it is everything you hoped it would be and more.
While the outside looks deceptively modest (2010 speculations had it pegged as everything from a neighborhood pub to a little (fish’n’ chippery) once you enter you are faced with a 2000 sq.ft, three level, a-little-something-for-everyone establishment that has all the makings of your new favorite hang out.
Lets run through the check list:
- An upscale casual downstairs restaurant feat. a menu of English and colonized English dishes (Cheddar Ale Soup and Fish’n’ Chips hang out next to Murgh Makhani Tiffins and Roasted Cod with curry chikpeas and cilantro chutney).
- A late night bar menu seved till half an hour before last call on ALL THREE LEVELS (with Indian Poori, Pastrami Salmon sandwiches and more).
- A second level “lodge” with two fireplaces, antler chandeliers and the kind of hang-out vibe that you know will make it one of the most popular places to be during the winter months.
- A TRULY SPECTACULAR rooftop with views all the way to the Washington Monument with two bars, a heated area for the winter and some (to quote the management) truly sexy beer and cocktail options starting with seasonal favorites like Shandys, Snake Bites and Pimm’s Cups.
- Plus the usual Hilton team attention to details and good times: yes-all the charcuterie will be made in-house, yes- there IS plenty of cider on offer, YES-brunch WILL BE served on the very first day (this Sunday), yes-there IS a 4th of July party, yes, yes, yes….
Enjoy the rest of the snaps Stephanie took, and I guess we know where we’ll see you on Sunday at 11am: 901 U Street.