Today, June 11 marks the first date of the World Cup, quite possibly the most epic sporting event worldwide. Every four years we duke it out cheering for our favorite country out of the pool of 32 to take it all and dominate the world of soccer (or football, if you prefer).
Some have flocked to South Africa for this huge event while others have taken off from work to watch specific games. Being played half way around the world, the games will take place between the hours of 6am – 6pm here on EST. This means that most days we’re going to have to sneak out of our offices and homes to take part in the daytime party atmosphere of debauchery.
We decided to make it easy to celebrate the events in gluttony with a collection of the best, or at least highlights, of food and drink specials during the cup.
- When choosing a bar to watch the games think more ‘Irish pub’ than ‘sports bar’. Lucky Bar will be packed (beer specials, daily food and drink specials). McFaddens as well as Molly Malone’s, Fado Irish Pub, Irish Channel, James Hobans, Kitty O’Shea’s, Pour House, Flanagan’s Harp and Fiddle, etc all have the games and specials on tap.
- Want a completely unique experience? Check out The Soccer Mansion near Mt. Pleasant with a huge 300 person soccer-loving party. A tad pricey but it’s pretty much guaranteed to be a memorable experience. Cop tickets early, I’m sure they’ll sell out for the popular games.
- The hardcore soccer fans will be spending their time practically within stone’s throw of RFK (DC United’s home stadium) at Pour House on the hill or The Pug on H St. NE. There are specials for DC United season ticket holders at both (and also Blackfinn).
- Saturday, June 12 at 2:30pm is the big USA vs. England game which, thanks to a donation by the Brazilian Sugarcane Industry Association, will air in the middle of Dupont Circle. The South Korea vs. Greece match will be shown at 7:30am followed by Argentina vs. Nigeria at 10am and finally the home team at 2:30pm. This will be most likely be a packed event and you’re encouraged to take the metro or walk. Expect to come out of this with a lot of swag since it will most likely be the largest gathering in the city.
- If you work on or near K St. the best bet may be Blackfinn at 1620 I St. which will feature $4-5 drink specials and many tvs.
- The new Biergarten Haus on H St. will be opening this weekend to show the games on their huge outdoor TVs but they’ve taken reservations for the most popular games so only expect to catch the less-popular matches there.
For fun check out this post from the DC foodie blog Endless Simmer of various foods from your World Cup teams.
If you’ve never experienced the World Cup, you need to. Not only is it a huge sporting event worldwide, it’s an amazing party. The team spirit is like none other. Expect a new experience and incredible party. Post your favorite events or specials for the Cup. Share the wealth, we’re all in this together.