There’s nothing we love more than true crime. We talk about it, we read about it, hell, we built the Death Becomes Us true crime festival (buy your tickets to the upcoming D.C. festival now!). So we decided to take our daily true crime chats (it’s a fun office environment!) and condense them into an easy to read column jam packed with all the crime news you crave. From our favorite podcasts, to some classic #TBTs, we’ve got all the talking points you need to scare your friends and family.
DISPATCHES FROM THE DEAD: PODCAST RECOMMENDATIONS
- The New York Times is taking over the podcast charts with 1916 an in depth look at the beginnings of slavery in America. As we’ve discussed on previous versions of this column, history is the truest crime of all.
- The folks behind The Killing of Marilyn Monroe are digging into Diana with Diana: Case Solved.
- If technology is more of your thing, checkout Darknet Diaries, which covers cyber crime, including XBox hacking, printer hacking and online game hacking! There’s a lot of hacking.
NEWLY UNEARTHED: TRUE CRIME NEWS
- If you need something to watch after blowing through Mindhunter, Newsweek thinks you should hop into Unbelievable. I guess it’s unbelievable.
- Dr. Oz has (maybe) broken the JonBenet Ramsey case wide open. I mean, probably not, but you never know?
- Speaking of true crime TV, a true crime home renovation show is a real thing that is happening.
- Forbes thinks season 2 of Over My Dead body is a gem. We told you to listen to it last week! Follow our advice!
- Oxygen’s pivot to true crime is the best kind of pivot.
THE CRIME CAPSULE: ON THIS DAY
On this day in 2006, serial killer Mark Goudeau was apprehended. You may know him as the Baseline Killer.