There’s nothing we love more than true crime. We talk about it, we read about it, hell, we built the Death Becomes Us true crime festival (buy your tickets to the upcoming D.C. festival now!). So we decided to take our daily true crime chats (it’s a fun office environment!) and condense them into an easy to read column jam packed with all the crime news you crave. From our favorite podcasts, to some classic #TBTs, we’ve got all the talking points you need to scare your friends and family.
DISPATCHES FROM THE DEAD: PODCAST RECOMMENDATIONS
- Let’s kick this week’s round of recommendations with something new. Unheard: The Fred & Rose West Tapes takes a long and unflinching look at the crimes of serial murderers Fred and Rose West, who killed 12 women (including their daughter) in Gloucester, England in between from 1967 to 1987.
- If you want something with a deeper catalogue, Wondery’s The Vanished Podcast takes a look at whole manor of strange disappearances and missing persons.
- And to mix it up entirely, if haunted things are more up your alley, you’ll probably like Spooked. This podcast features all the “true-life” stories you can handle.
NEWLY UNEARTHED: TRUE CRIME NEWS
- Your must read of the day is this GQ profile of “the grandaddy of true crime” Keith Morrison.
- Confused about whats going on in the most recent season of American Horror Story? CinemaBlend has an explainer of the real life crime that inspired the season.
- Likewise, Vulture explores the true story behind Unbelievable, the true crime TV show that is getting all the press.
- The true crime podcast Culpable is offering a $100,000 reward for information about the death of Christian Andreacchio.
- In Making a Murderer news, an inmate has supposedly confessed to the murder of Teresa Halbach, the same crime that put Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey in prison.
THE CRIME CAPSULE: ON THIS DAY
On this day in 1883, Irish murderer Robert Francis Burns was hanged in Australia.