There’s nothing we love more than true crime. We talk about it, we read about it, hell, we built the Death Becomes Us true crime festival (buy your tickets to the upcoming D.C. festival now!). So we decided to take our daily true crime chats (it’s a fun office environment!) and condense them into an easy to read column jam packed with all the crime news you crave. From our favorite podcasts, to some classic #TBTs, we’ve got all the talking points you need to scare your friends and family.
DISPATCHES FROM THE DEAD: PODCAST RECOMMENDATIONS
- If you already have problems going to the doctor, don’t listen to Sick a new podcast showcasing hospitals, doctors and industry professionals and the (occasionally) horrific things they do to betray their patients safety. The first season focuses on one particular fertility specialist and boy does it seem upsetting.
- Speaking of medicine, Wondery (the folks behind Dr. Death) are bringing you a brand new medical malfeasance story called Bad Batch. You can’t trust anyone!
- Let’s break away from the medical stuff and circle back to see what Dr. Phil (true crime’s number one fan!) has going on. He just released a trailer for the fifth season of his true crime podcast, Mystery and Murder: Analysis By Dr. Phil, which will focus on Chris Watts, the Colorado man who murdered his entire family.
NEWLY UNEARTHED: TRUE CRIME NEWS
- Another week, another series of diatribes about the ethics of true crime and why we love it.
- Here’s a sweet story about a Florida couple who host a true crime podcast from their garage.
- Bustle has a list of the hottest true crime books hitting the shelves.
- Seattle is taking true crime to another level… By hosting an event where you can help crack a real live cold case.
THE CRIME CAPSULE: ON THIS DAY
On this day in 1971, Ion Rîmaru, a Romanian serial killer also known as the “Vampire of Bucharest,” was executed.