There’s nothing we love more than true crime. We talk about it, we read about it, hell, we built the Death Becomes Us true crime festival (buy your tickets to the upcoming D.C. festival now!). So we decided to take our daily true crime chats (it’s a fun office environment!) and condense them into an easy to read column jam packed with all the crime news you crave. From our favorite podcasts, to some classic #TBTs, we’ve got all the talking points you need to scare your friends and family.
DISPATCHES FROM THE DEAD: PODCAST RECOMMENDATIONS
- Welcome back to the best true crime podcast recommendation round up on the Internet! I’m the only person you can trust!
- The podcast world has exploded with shows about Jeffrey Epstein, but only one of them is at the top of the iTunes charts. The Mysterious Mr. Epstein is Wondery’s take on the buckwild story. They’re two episodes in, so hop on this train before all your friends are recommending it to you.
- If you’re a Lore fan, you probably already know about Unobscured, Aaron Mahnke’s other podcast. Dive into the dark side of history with one of the nicest voices in podcasting.
- Enough with the very deeply serious stuff, Scam Goddess looks at the lighter side of true crime, con-men! Con-women! Con-people! It seems like a blast.
NEWLY UNEARTHED: TRUE CRIME NEWS
- Let’s start off with the most draining piece of true crime news! The Cut did a series of catchup interviews with women who came out about their sexual assault stories during the height of the #MeToo movement. It’s grim!
- In (vaguely?) lighter news, have you heard about the Ukrainian eight-year-old orphan who is maybe secretly 22?
- CNET interviews the hosts behind the true crime podcast Murderabilia about serial killer trinkets.
- If you like true crime TV shows, NBC thinks you should “binge” these books.
- Forensic Files is coming back baby!
- Cats can teach you a lot about death.
THE CRIME CAPSULE: ON THIS DAY
On this day in 1889, the Austrian serial killer Frederick Mors was born. He killed eight people in NYC.