There’s nothing we love more than true crime. We talk about it, we read about it, hell, we built the Death Becomes Us true crime festival (buy your tickets to the upcoming D.C. festival now!). So we decided to take our daily true crime chats (it’s a fun office environment!) and condense them into an easy to read column jam packed with all the crime news you crave. From our favorite podcasts, to some classic #TBTs, we’ve got all the talking points you need to scare your friends and family.
DISPATCHES FROM THE DEAD: PODCAST RECOMMENDATIONS
- Welcome to your favorite true crime podcast roundup! Today we have a few weirder shows to go throw, some podcasts that you might consider on the fringe of true crime. Let’s start off with Radio Rental, the latest podcast from Payne Lindsey’s true crime empire Tenderfoot TV & Cadence13. With weirdo host Rainn Wilson leading the charge, Radio Rental frames real life scary stories as if they’re Twilight Zone episodes. It’s a weird one!
- The next weirdo podcast is aptly named Odd Ball. This one dives into the story and conspiracies surrounding the Betz Sphere, which made news headlines and confounded scientists in 1974. Was the mysterious object alien technology? Or was it all a weird hoax?
- Tired of the weird stuff? Just want some straight up true crime? Dive into the second season of Slow Burn, which is all about the murders of Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G.
NEWLY UNEARTHED: TRUE CRIME NEWS
- If you don’t know anything about the serial killer Belle Gunness, consider this your primer on the wild tale.
- And you can read more about the Greensboro Massacre (in which Nazis and the Klan killed five communist protestors) and it’s political reverberations here.
- Copcasts are the next true crime trend.
- A Serial-meets-Glee audio series is coming to a pair of headphones near you! Thanks, I hate it.
- Lady Gaga is jumping into the world of true crime with her next role.
- Is true crime over?! (Come to our true crime festival this weekend!)
THE CRIME CAPSULE: ON THIS DAY
On this day in 1955, American spree killer Alton Coleman was born in Illinois. He killed eight people in three months.