There’s nothing we love more than true crime. We talk about it, we read about it, hell, we built the Death Becomes Us true crime festival. So we decided to take our daily true crime chats (it’s a fun office environment!) and condense them into an easy to read column jam packed with all the crime news you crave. From our favorite podcasts, to some classic #TBTs, we’ve got all the talking points you need to scare your friends and family.
DISPATCHES FROM THE DEAD: PODCAST RECOMMENDATIONS
- Let’s start off with the true crime podcast I find the most disconcerting! Urge to Kill (from our friends at VAULT Studios) is about the 2016 murder of Kaylee (that’s my name!) Sawyer and the man who committed the crime. Between the murder, the car chase, the attempted abduction and everything else going on in this story, it sounds captivating.
- The talented folks at Wondery and the LA Times have a brand new podcast called Detective Trapp, which tells the story of investigator Julissa Trapp and her drive to solve crimes.
- And Ashley Flowers, the woman behind Crime Junkie, is bouncing back from the plagiarism scandal with Red Ball, which dives into the story and reinvestigation of the Burger Chef murders.
NEWLY UNEARTHED: TRUE CRIME NEWS
- And speaking of Ashley Flowers and Red Ball, there’s a pretty strongly written story about the whole thing on the Indianapolis Monthly website.
- Netflix’s newest true crime series covers the nightmare that is Henry Lee Lucas.
- While we’re on Netflix, here’s a deep dive into how Netflix is able to keep pumping out bingeable true crime shows.
- Plus, here’s a sneak peek into ID’s new series The Interrogator.
- Finally, Spotify continues to make moves in the podcast world with their brand new Last Podcast on the Left exclusive.
THE CRIME CAPSULE: ON THIS DAY
On this day in 2013, serial killer Joseph Paul Franklin was executed after killing several people, as well as attempting to kill magazine publisher Larry Flynt and civil rights activist Vernon Jordan.