There’s nothing we love more than true crime. We talk about it, we read about it, hell, we built the Death Becomes Us true crime festival. So we decided to take our daily true crime chats (it’s a fun office environment!) and condense them into an easy to read column jam packed with all the crime news you crave. From our favorite podcasts, to some classic #TBTs, we’ve got all the talking points you need to scare your friends and family.
DISPATCHES FROM THE DEAD: PODCAST RECOMMENDATIONS
- If you’re yearning for something good to listen to, our friends at Vault Studios have created a great show called Amy Should Be Forty. This podcast tells the story of a 10-year-old girl who was mysteriously taken from a Cleveland suburb 30 years ago and explores how modern day technology could solve the case.
- Next up on our roster is Have You Seen This Man? which focuses on Lester Eubanks, a murderer who ‘escaped’ from prison in 1973 and has been on the run ever since.
- Our last recommendation of the week is Intrigue: Tunnel 29 created by those fun folks at the BBC. This podcast follows the story of a man who tried to dig from West Germany to East Germany to help other people escape. We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again, history is the biggest true crime.
NEWLY UNEARTHED: TRUE CRIME NEWS
- Death Becomes Us, our true crime festival, was last weekend. Click here to check out these amazing photos! There are some sweet pics of Amanda Knox and Lorena (Bobbitt) Gallo.
- And speaking of Amanda and Lorena, The Cut wrote about their friendship here.
- Looking for a longread? AV Club talks about how Serial helped legitimize true crime.
- Oxygen compares the American Horror Story version of serial killer Richard Ramirez to the real deal.
- And if you want more true crime content for your eyeballs, check out this list of the 10 most underrated true crime films.
- If you care about the sleazier side of true crime, Dr. Oz interviewed a woman who is prison pen pals with Chris Watts, the man who killed his wife and two kids in Colorado in 2018.
- These are the perfect gifts for the true crime superfan in your life.
THE CRIME CAPSULE: ON THIS DAY
On this day in 1967, American serial killer Kristen Gilbert was born in Massachusetts. She killed four people (and attempted to kill two others) at a VA hospital where she worked as a nurse.