There’s nothing we love more than true crime. We talk about it, we read about it, hell, we built the Death Becomes Us true crime festival. So we decided to take our daily true crime chats (it’s a fun office environment!) and condense them into an easy to read column jam packed with all the crime news you crave. From our favorite podcasts, to some classic #TBTs, we’ve got all the talking points you need to scare your friends and family.
DISPATCHES FROM THE DEAD: PODCAST RECOMMENDATIONS
- Following in the footsteps of Swindled, the folks behind Root of Evil are diving into the world of white-collar crime with their new show Gangster Capitalism. The trailer makes us believe the first season will focus on college cheating and admission scandals. The first episode should be dropping soon.
- I can’t believe I missed this, but Wondery has been teaming up with the Boston Globe to produce a podcast called Gladiator, which covers football player / murderer Aaron Hernandez. It seems sad as hell, but also wildly fascinating.
- If you didn’t notice, Uncover‘s third season has been focusing on the Canadian serial killer Bruce McArthur, who targeted gay men in Toronto for seven years. It also explores how murderers like McArthur can thrive in marginalized communities. It’s deeply sad and very important.
NEWLY UNEARTHED: TRUE CRIME NEWS
- And speaking of Uncover, The New York Times wrote all about the podcast and McArthur’s crimes.
- Oxygen is producing a documentary about Kim Kardashian’s criminal justice reform work. 2019 is wild.
- And speaking of Oxygen, they must be busy as hell because they’re also working with Blumhouse to create a show about Florida’s weirdest crimes called (this is not a joke) “Florida Man.”
- The Ted Bundy movie Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile is out on Netflix and people have a lot of feelings about it!
- The true crime book Harper Lee tried to write is coming out and it sounds insane.
- If you’ve always dreamed of owning a ghost town, you should read this.
THE CRIME CAPSULE: ON THIS DAY
On this day in 1908, French serial killer Jeanne Weber was apprehended by police after attempting to stranger an innkeeper’s son.