There’s nothing we love more than true crime. We talk about it, we read about it, hell, we built the Death Becomes Us true crime festival. So we decided to take our daily true crime chats (it’s a fun office environment!) and condense them into an easy to read column jam packed with all the crime news you crave. From our favorite podcasts, to some classic #TBTs, we’ve got all the talking points you need to scare your friends and family.
DISPATCHES FROM THE DEAD: PODCAST RECOMMENDATIONS
- Another week, another Parcast podcast! I swear these people crank them out on a conveyor belt. This week they premiered the first episode of The Dark Side Of… which covers the seedy underbelly of the world. You can expect episodes on Hollywood, sports, charities and other subjects you (probably) hold dear!
- Can’t get enough Dateline? Dig into their new podcast 13 Alibis which takes you through the case of Richard Rosario, who was convicted of murder in 1996 despite having 13 alibis.
- Let’s finish this weeks podcast recommendations with something a little lighter. If you love everything aliens and conspiracy theories, but you also need some levity in your life, Alien Theorists Theorizing is the podcast for you. It has all the extraterrestrial and abduction news you need with all of the jokes you crave.
NEWLY UNEARTHED: TRUE CRIME NEWS
- The NXIVM trial is getting weirder and weirder (or sadder and sadder).
- Tamron Hall swung by IDCon for some true crime face time and Joe Kenda’s announcement that Homicide Hunter is ending brought a woman to tears. It was an emotional rollercoaster!
- The hottest lawyers on Netflix argued that Steven Avrey will never get a fair trial.
- The cute team of Buzzfeed Unsolved is getting good reviews for their most recent season.
- Jake Gyllenhaal is teaming up with Conde Nast to produce a true crime film. The movie, Gilded Rage, will focus on the murder of Thomas Gilbert Sr. by his son Thomas Gilbert Jr.
- Are these the best true crime shows ever?
- And in even more true crime TV news, Crime Junkie is pivoting to video.
THE CRIME CAPSULE: ON THIS DAY
On this day in 1980, serial killer Richard Francis Cottingham attempted to murder Ann O’Dell.