There’s nothing we love more than true crime. We talk about it, we read about it, hell, we built the Death Becomes Us true crime festival. So we decided to take our daily true crime chats (it’s a fun office environment!) and condense them into an easy to read column jam packed with all the crime news you crave. From our favorite podcasts, to some classic #TBTs, we’ve got all the talking points you need to scare your friends and family.
DISPATCHES FROM THE DEAD: PODCAST RECOMMENDATIONS
- Your favorite podcast studio has a brand new true crime tale for you to tap into! Wondery has published the first two episodes of The Dating Game Killer and it’s a horrifying look into a serial killer who ended up on the old time-y game show The Dating Game. It’s a weird one!
- Speaking of things that are so brand new they basically still have the tags on them, I Survived by PodcastOne is serving up stories from, you guessed it, survivors! It’s like the audio version of the show I Shouldn’t Be Alive. Man do I miss that show.
- I’m still not sure if coronavirus podcasts count as true crime, but I find them fascinating, so let’s take a look at Epidemic! Hosted by Dr. Celine Gounder, an epidemiologist / infectious disease specialist, and a Ronald Klain, who was the Ebola response coordinator during the Obama Administration, it takes a look at the science and politics of COVID-19.
NEWLY UNEARTHED: TRUE CRIME NEWS
- If you’ve been tuning into Netflix’s latest true crime special, The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez, you might want to read this response from the LA Times.
- And speaking of Netflix, you’re probably going to be obsessed with their new docuseries.
- Moving away from TV, ID is teaming up with Random House to create a special true crime book club.
- Here is a podcast bracket packed with some true crime favorites.
- Our story of the week is definitely this excellent look into death row meals.
THE CRIME CAPSULE: ON THIS DAY
On this day in 1948, American serial killer Doug Clark was born in Pennsylvania. You may know him as one of the Sunset Strip Killers.