There’s nothing we love more than true crime. We talk about it, we read about it, hell, we built the Death Becomes Us true crime festival. So we decided to take our daily true crime chats (it’s a fun office environment!) and condense them into an easy to read column jam packed with all the crime news you crave. From our favorite podcasts, to some classic #TBTs, we’ve got all the talking points you need to scare your friends and family.
DISPATCHES FROM THE DEAD: PODCAST RECOMMENDATIONS
- To kick off this truly buckwild new year, we have three brand new podcasts for you. The first, Disorganized Crime: Smuggler’s Daughter, is an almost bucolic look at pot smuggling in California in the 70s and 80s. It’s hosted by a woman delightfully named Rainbow Valentine, and tells the story of her hippy smuggler parents.
- If you’re more interested in the aughts than the 80s, check out iHeartRadio and Tenderfoot TV’s newest podcast Monster: DC Sniper. I bet you can guess what this show is about?
- Then there’s Dig, a Louisville Public Media podcast that investigates what exactly happens to rape cases in Louisville. This show is not going to make you feel great.
NEWLY UNEARTHED: TRUE CRIME NEWS
- These are the most intriguing true crime stories of the decade.
- Once you’re done with that, check out Rolling Stone’s list of the five biggest true crime moments.
- Salon talks about how true crime shows and stories have shifted away from talking about bad guys to talking about the big picture failures of the legal system.
- And speaking of true crime shows, Netflix has released a trailer for their new doc about the murderer / football player Aaron Hernandez.
- Plus Netflix published a list of their most popular international titles in 2019. Surprise surprise, true crime was at the top of the list.
- This isn’t real true crime… But you should probably watching The Outsider.
THE CRIME CAPSULE: ON THIS DAY
On this day in 1947, serial killer William Bonin was born in Connecticut. He was known as the Freeway Killer.