There’s nothing we love more than true crime. We talk about it, we read about it, hell, we built the Death Becomes Us true crime festival (which is coming to New York City this March). So we decided to take our daily true crime chats (it’s a fun office environment!) and condense them into an easy to read column jam packed with all the crime news you crave. From our favorite podcasts, to some classic #TBTs, we’ve got all the talking points you need to scare your friends and family.
DISPATCHES FROM THE DEAD: PODCAST RECOMMENDATIONS
- It seems like everyone is listening to The Drop Out, which dives deep into the scandal (and eventual conviction) surrounding Elizabeth Holmes and her scammy company Theranos. I was planning on reading Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup first, but I’m knee deep in Dune… So I’ll probably listen to it today.
- Sometimes I need a break from two hour long multi-part in depth exploration of a crime. If you’re looking for a quick and easy crime of the week, check out Crime Junkie.
- Catch up with the wonderful ladies of Wine & Crime before you see them at our New York festival.
NEWLY UNEARTHED: TRUE CRIME NEWS
- We announced the lineup for Death Becomes Us, our true crime festival. Come hang out with Amanda Knox, John Douglas, Paul Holes, Damien Echols and more TBD!
- BTK / Dennis Rader’s daughter is speaking out in the new documentary BTK: A Killer Among Us.
- Vanity Fair has an exclusive preview of Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood, which is a fictionalized story set during the Manson murders.
- In more Manson news, Leslie Van Houten’s chance of getting out on parole looks pretty damn good.
- One of Ted Bundy’s only surviving victims talks about her life (and her near death experience) with Rolling Stone.
- Considering the rash of crimes solved with the help of ancestry and DNA tests, check out this explainer on the topic.
- Toronto serial killer Bruce McArthur pleaded guilty to eight counts of murder yesterday.
- To finish it all off, Baltimore is no longer prosecuting marijuana possession cases.
THE CRIME CAPSULE: ON THIS DAY
It’s Kansas City serial killer Bob Berdella‘s birthday. Do not read that Wikipedia page if you’re squeamish.