There’s nothing we love more than true crime. We talk about it, we read about it, hell, we built the Death Becomes Us true crime festival. So we decided to take our daily true crime chats (it’s a fun office environment!) and condense them into an easy to read column jam packed with all the crime news you crave. From our favorite podcasts, to some classic #TBTs, we’ve got all the talking points you need to scare your friends and family.
DISPATCHES FROM THE DEAD: PODCAST RECOMMENDATIONS
- At the top of the iTunes charts (#2 as right now), Counter Clock investigates the murder of Denise Johnson in North Carolina, a 22-year-old cold case. This seems like an interesting story, but I can’t get over how poorly the cover art has been designed. It makes it seems like the show is called Counter Lock.
- Speaking of cold cases, Your Own Backyard covers the 1996 disappearance of Kristin Smart.
- Our friends at Parcast are kicking off their newest podcast, Dictators, with the story of Benito Mussolini. What will they think of next?
NEWLY UNEARTHED: TRUE CRIME NEWS
- Shayanna Jenkins is getting a lot of attention on social media after the release of Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez. I just started this docu series last night and it’s deeply upsetting. I honestly don’t know if I’ll finish it.
- And speaking of minds, Bustle reached out to some experts to find out how true crime is changing our brains.
- Plus, here’s a story about a person who improved their mental health by giving up true crime.
- On the other hand, this true crime book about a doubler murder in rural Appalachia looks good.
- To cap it all off, Khloe Kardashian is producing a second true crime show for Oxygen.
THE CRIME CAPSULE: ON THIS DAY
On this day in 1929, the Romanian serial killer Romulus Vereș was born in Cluj. He was known as “The Man with the Hammer.”