There’s nothing we love more than true crime. We talk about it, we read about it, hell, we built the Death Becomes Us true crime festival. So we decided to take our daily true crime chats (it’s a fun office environment!) and condense them into an easy to read column jam packed with all the crime news you crave. From our favorite podcasts, to some classic #TBTs, we’ve got all the talking points you need to scare your friends and family.
DISPATCHES FROM THE DEAD: PODCAST RECOMMENDATIONS
- I know I’ve recommended this podcast in the past (and they are an alum of BYT’s Death Becomes Us festival), but I’m really enjoying Last Podcast on the Left’s series on the assassination of JFK. Part 1 and 2 are live, but they’re still in the middle of the story, so you have plenty of time to catch up.
- One of the newest true crime podcasts on the block is Verified, which walks you through the story of a group of women who band together to stop a sexual predator / police officer in Italy. The show is only two episodes in, so there’s a lot more to uncover.
- The satanic panic of the 80s is a hot topic in the true crime podcast world right now, and Gimlet is jumping into the conversation with their show Conviction. Season two (which is aptly title American Panic) dives into a story you might not have heard before.
NEWLY UNEARTHED: TRUE CRIME NEWS
- If you’re reading this, you definitely already know all about the Forensic Files reboot, but here’s a decent primer if you want to know more about the return of this iconic show.
- We love a good reading recommendation, which is why we’re going to drop this true crime book round up right here.
- And speaking of lists, here are some true crime songs to listen to while you read your true crime books. Is this synergy?
- Your true crime longread of the day is a Marie Claire article about the con queen of Hollywood.
THE CRIME CAPSULE: ON THIS DAY
On this day in 1852, the French serial killer Hélène Jégado was executed by guillotine after poisoning as many as 36 people.