There’s nothing we love more than true crime. We talk about it, we read about it, hell, we built the Death Becomes Us true crime festival (which is coming to New York City this March, get your tickets to hang out with Amanda Knox now!). So we decided to take our daily true crime chats (it’s a fun office environment!) and condense them into an easy to read column jam packed with all the crime news you crave. From our favorite podcasts, to some classic #TBTs, we’ve got all the talking points you need to scare your friends and family.
DISPATCHES FROM THE DEAD: PODCAST RECOMMENDATIONS
- We spent most of this snowy mourning listening to Disgraceland, a podcast that covers the intersection between true crime and music. If you want to learn more about GG Allin and the Murder Junkies or you have an interest in cannibalism and horrorcore, look no further.
- In a similar vein, Cocaine & Rhinestones takes a look at the often fraught history of country music, which happens to be jam packed with guns and drugs.
- To keep the music theme going, Last Podcast on the Left has a couple series about bands whose stories veered into true crime. We recommend checking out the Norwegian Black Metal or the Biggie and Tupac episodes.
NEWLY UNEARTHED: TRUE CRIME NEWS
- Death Becomes Us is a month away! Come party with us in NYC and by party we mean yell about serial killers.
- Check out this sneak peak of Elaine Shannon’s Hunting LeRoux, the true story of a programmer who decided buying black market gold and selling large qualities of cocaine would be more fun than working on encryption software. If you’re not familiar with LeRoux, Reply All just put out an excellent about the man.
- And speaking of books, Cosmo has a list of true crime recommended reads that is surprisingly good.
- A true crime bar is opening in Knoxville, Tennessee. This is just a reminder that we did it first.
- The Ringer covers the history of true crime TV movies.
- Sundance TV has release the first trailer for their upcoming docuseries, Ministry of Evil: The Twisted Cult of Tony Alamo.
- Celebrities, they love true crime just like us!
THE CRIME CAPSULE: ON THIS DAY
We don’t have a true crime fact of the day, because the book we use is at our snowed in office. Instead, enjoy this article about serial killers and zodiac signs. It’s Pisces season.