There’s nothing we love more than true crime. We talk about it, we read about it, hell, we built the Death Becomes Us true crime festival (which is coming to New York City this March, get your tickets to hang out with Amanda Knox now!). So we decided to take our daily true crime chats (it’s a fun office environment!) and condense them into an easy to read column jam packed with all the crime news you crave. From our favorite podcasts, to some classic #TBTs, we’ve got all the talking points you need to scare your friends and family.
DISPATCHES FROM THE DEAD: PODCAST RECOMMENDATIONS
- The Ron Burgundy Podcast is here to skewer true crime fans and creators alike. The first episode of the show features Ferrel (as Burgundy) confusing podcasts with radio, reading bizarre ads and talking about blood and guts without batting an eye. I wish I loved this, but it’s nowhere near as funny as it thinks it is and it’s way too long. Still, if you’re into true crime, you might want to try the first episode. It’s sitting pretty at the top of the iTunes charts, so it’s definitely doing something right.
- If you’re looking for a more satisfying true crime parody, Done Disappeared is a fun riff on popular shows like Up and Vanished. There are fake ad breaks, useless details and a host who calls himself a documentary filmmaker, despite the fact that he’s never made a film. It’s a delight.
- In a similar vein, A Very Fatal Murder parodies buttoned up productions like Serial. Created by The Onion, it has the good production values you crave and most episodes are under 10 minutes long. Short podcasts are the best podcasts.
NEWLY UNEARTHED: TRUE CRIME NEWS
- We just announced that the dream team behind Serial is coming to Death Becomes Us, our true crime festival! Tickets go on sale Friday at noon.
- Entertainment Weekly has a nice interview with Kelly Siegler of Cold Justice. They have an interesting side conversation about the opioid epidemic.
- Hulu has released the first teaser of their upcoming show The Act, a fictional retelling of the story behind HBO’s documentary Mommy Dead and Dearest.
- Bop on over to the other side of the pond and check out these British true crime docs.
- And speaking of documentaries, this four hour Watergate doc should itch your true crime scratch.
- This Medium story covers the disappearance of Marjorie West, one of America’s first huge missing children’s cases.
- The Devil In the White City is being turned into a movie and here’s all the information we have. Do you think DiCaprio is going to play serial killer H.H. Holmes or architect Daniel H. Burnham? We’re hoping for both.
THE CRIME CAPSULE: ON THIS DAY
Canadian serial killer / arsonist Allan Legere turns 70. He was known around town as the Monster of the Miramichi.