There’s nothing we love more than true crime. We talk about it, we read about it, hell, we built the Death Becomes Us true crime festival. So we decided to take our daily true crime chats (it’s a fun office environment!) and condense them into an easy to read column jam packed with all the crime news you crave. From our favorite podcasts, to some classic #TBTs, we’ve got all the talking points you need to scare your friends and family.
DISPATCHES FROM THE DEAD: PODCAST RECOMMENDATIONS
- First up is the wildly popular Catch and Kill Podcast with Ronan Farrow. A continuation of Farrow’s book of the same name, it’s an upsetting look at how powerful men get away with abusing the people below them.
- If an indepth look at systems of power is your jam, press play on Broken Justice which explores… you guessed it… the justice system! It’s going to make you sad!
- Our last recommendation of the week is the brand new podcast Boomtown. Don’t forget, climate change is the worst true crime.
NEWLY UNEARTHED: TRUE CRIME NEWS
- If you haven’t heard of copcasts, the Columbia Journalism Review explains why police departments are diving into true crime. Cui bono my pals.
- Before you see the movie Richard Jewell, check out Oxygen’s explainer of the weird true crime tale.
- Netflix’s new true crime series is a reminder that Internet sleuths are usually bad.
- And speaking of Netflix, their series on Henry Lee Lucas is getting rave reviews.
- And here’s a list of cheesy true crime gifts to buy for all your murder friends.
THE CRIME CAPSULE: ON THIS DAY
On this day in 1935, serial killer Joseph Kallinger was born in Philadelphia.