WHEREIN: We bring you the developments (happening in and around DC) that we think are newsworthy, or, at the very least, almost newsworthy.
- Question: Is Washington D.C. Northern or Southern? As a city, do we more commonly say “dinner,” or “supper”? “Y’all,” or “you guys”? “Soda,” “pop,” or the southern catch-all “coke”? Obviously we’re more northern, but we definitely still say “ma-naze.” WAMU explores the local dialect to find the answer.
- So it was just a HUGE DEAL that Wal-Mart needed to agree to pay their employees a “living wage” of $12.50 an hour. Well, it turns out that the D.C. Government doesn’t even pay their low-level clerks and staffers $12.50 an hour. Whoops. (via NBC4)
- The world’s largest flower is also the world’s most rancid-scented flower: The Corpse Flower at the U.S. Botanic Garden grew 5″ over the weekend and is set to bloom any day now. When it does, it will release a stench that, according to its central caretaker, “Like a very dead elephant.” (via Washington Post)
- Michele Bachmann aide Javier Sanchez was arrested on charges of “Theft II” for his involvement in the burglarizing of the Rayburn House Office Building. (via HuffingtonPost)
- Do you like to swim in poop? It turns out there’s a whole lot of it in the ocean, and 80% of all beach closings due to “pollution” are really about how much doo-doo there is in the water. (via InTheCapital)
- In local wine news, DCanter has its soft-opening today. Get excited. (via PoPville)