WHEREIN: We bring you the developments (happening in and around DC) that we think are newsworthy, or, at the very least, almost newsworthy.
- Two sisters, separated since birth and living just miles apart from one another in the district, found each other after 17 years at a high school track meet. Awwwwwww (via NBC News)
- Every few hours, a gun is seized somewhere in the District or Prince George’s County, ranking the area fourth nationwide when it comes to gun seizures per square mile. Washington Post has all sort of interactive maps and visualizations and other cool shit like that for you to familiarize yourself with the issue.
- Snakes are falling out of the trees in Adams Morgan, further perpetuating its Sodom & Gomorrah reputation to anyone with a keen eye for the Devil’s handiwork. (via DCist)
- Could this have anything to do with the fact that the park where this is happening sits on a couple of sprawling ancient burial sites, where, as Washington Post reports, “Earlier this month, at a memorial and celebration in the park, the Walter Pierce Park Archaeological Team was to release a report asserting that thousands of bodies still lie beneath the dog run, soccer field, basketball court and playgrounds of the heavily used park”??? Maybe.
- Alta, the Portland, OR, company behind DC’s red bike-share craze, expanded to NYC yesterday, launching the biggest bike-share system in the country by doing so. This comes amid strong criticism by former and current employees in the D.C. branch, who are calling bullshit on the company’s labor practices. (via CityPaper)
- Six D.C. bars made it into Esquire Magazine’s list of Best Bars in America! Be proud. (via Washingtonian)
- You can go on claiming one more superlative victory over other D.C. cities: We’re ranked the second most physically fit city in the country! (which, admittedly, is like saying we’re the slimmest kid at some sort of pan-national fat camp). (via InTheCapital)
- OK this is EXACTLY the type of parking sign bullshit that gets my blood boiling: This sign created confusion (because it’s like a fucked up riddle or something), that led the ticketer to interpret what was in fact the OPPOSITE of the truth. Go to the PoPville forum dealing with this to see how even the most well-intentioned people can interpret this sign to mean all sorts of crazy things.
Just to clarify, this sign means (and there is in fact a right and wrong here) that you should be able to park in this spot any time, for unrestricted amounts of time, OTHER THAN TUESDAYS from 7AM-8:30PM. I rest my case.
‘Til next time, feel free to send us tips etc at [email protected]