Where we talk about stuff we didn’t write about but is still something you may care to get all riled about and comment.
This week, in other DC media sources:
- DC becomes the 1st city (not state) in the US to distribute free female condoms
- Considering Contraceptive Ignorance week post on The Sexist, maybe not such a bad idea
- Washingtonian gets cozy with Ezra Klein “a new paradigm” for DC journalism.
- Speaking of which, New Columbia Heights is apparently a hotbed for young DC writers (among other things)
- the Walter E. Washington Convention Center was the place to be yesterday: teams of humans, ranging in age and with vastly superior intelligence, put their impressive robotic acumen on display. DCist has some photos:
- Left Bank, my favorite place to have brunch in Adams Morgan closed this Saturday
- Facebook helps solve the Woodland Murder
- We Love DC gets the cold, hard facts on the lost forts of DC
- And finally, ReadySetDC discusses the redesign of the Metro Map : something for both DC Metro Obsessives (all of whom seem thrilled about the new General Manager Apointee Sarles), AND graphic design junkies alike:
Booth has three chief complaints with the current WMATA map. One, he criticizes the non-standard orientation of text of the various station names, including the cheating of what should be a 45-degree angle on the Foggy Bottom and Farragut West text. In reality, the slant of this text is rotated a few degrees off to avoid overlapping the blue line. Second, the map breaks from the “perfect diamond” shape of the District since the two eastern borders are not 45-degree angled lines. Finally, Booth thinks the call-out boxes that address peak hour services are cumbersome looking. His redesign corrects these so-called design sins and offers a map that is a significant break from the current design