Hey DC! Looking for things to do this weekend? BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress. This week’s theme is Bentzen Ball because it’s finally time for our annual comedy fest!
• COMEDY FESTIVAL! NOW! IT’S NOW! BYT + Tig Notaro’s Bentzen Ball Comedy Festival is here! Los Espookys Live! Roxanne Gay! Tig! Jay Pharaoh! Aparna Nancherla! Rory Scovel! Jermaine Fowler! More! A perfect break from World Series and general life struggles!
• TRUE CRIME FESTIVAL: November 8-10, Death Becomes Us – True Crime Festival returns to D.C.! Individual shows are available for sale! Throwing Shade! The Murder Squad! Amanda Knox! Lorena Bobbit! BuzzFeed Unsolved! Capturing the DC Sniper!
• Bentzen Ball is here! Get in the mood and read some our chats with performers: Jaboukie Young-White + Roxane Gay + Chanel Ali+ relive 10 glorious years of festival magic in 1 min with this video. Then come make some new memories with us this weekend.
• Halloween is next week! Start your spooky celebrations and consult our BYT Halloween Picks.
• Take a peek inside Refinery29’s traveling art exhibition, 29Rooms.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: Tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
• Bentzen Ball officially begins at The Lincoln Theatre with longtime funny faves Maria Bamford and Jackie Kashian (an alum of the first ever Bentzen, natch).
• The BB late show at The Lincoln is Los Espookys Live: Halloween Show featuring Julio Torres, Ana Fabrega, Greta Titelman, and Lorelei Ramirez.
• Enjoy a cocktail before the shows at Archipelago.
• Go check out the Hirshhorn‘s newest exhibition, Pat Steir: Color Wheel.
• Get spooky with Frankie and the Witch Fingers and Taciturn at Comet Ping Pong.
• The Reading Room at Petworth Citizen turns four! Go celebrate with some A+ booze.
• Born Dad, Avenir and Andrew Grossman are at The Dew Drop Inn.
• The next Profs and Pints at Bier Baron is the seasonally appropriate “When Vampires Arose.”
• Slash Run hosts a Halloween edition of Zinefest.
• FREE PICK: Stay home and watch the bonkers Yorgos Lanthimos (The Favourite, The Lobster) horror film The Killing of a Sacred Deer. It’s on Kanopy.
• Friday BB activities begin with Pete Holmes and Jamie Lee at The Lincoln Theatre.
• Late night BB show, The New Negroes, is stacked with performances from Baron Vaughn, Open Mike Eagle, Jaboukie Young-White, Dulce Sloan, Sasheer Zamata, Haywood Turnipseed Jr and Violet Gray.
• Enjoy a cocktail at Cloak & Dagger before BB.
• Didn’t think I’d be typing this but The Washington Nationals take on the Houston Astros in game 3 of the 2019 World Series at Nationals Park. Jump on the bandwagon.
• Sleater-Kinney bring their divisive new album to The Anthem.
• Night of the Living Zoo is at, you guessed it, the zoo!
• Maxo Kream is at U Hall.
• Suns Cinema has their costumes and cocktail party.
• Jesus Is King, Kanye’s new film, screens at the Air and Space IMAX theatre.
• Stay home and watch the chilling Iranian horror film Under the Shadow on Netflix.
• FREE PICK: Thai horror film Krasue: Inhuman Kiss screens at the Freer.
Do some daytime stuff:
• Spend the afternoon with Roxane Gay and Sasheer Zamata at The Lincoln Theatre. This will be one of the most interesting Bentzen Ball shows.
• Stuff your face with pies and apples at the Adams Morgan Apple Festival & Pie Contest!
• Take your bbs to the Drag Queen Story Hour at the LINE Hotel.
• The Wharf is celebrating Día de los Muertos with live music, beer, food and more.
• Drink champagne and celebrate 25 years of Bethesda Row at Clicquot on the Row.
• Bentzen Ball continues at The Lincoln with Tig Notaro: But Enough About You – A Talk Show.
• Our biggest show of the festival is at the Entertainment and Sports Arena: The Bentzen Ball Comedy Festival & Events DC Present DC Comedy Homecoming featuring Jay Pharoah, Aparna Nancherla, Rory Scovel, Jermaine Fowler, Judah Friedlander, Yamaneika Saunders, Seaton Smith, Heather Lawless and hosted by Tig Notaro.
• Bentzen Ball at The Lincoln wraps up with Call Your Girlfriend Live.
• It’s still happening. Game 4 of the World Series. In Washington D.C. First time since 1933.
• Order a Gay Water at Nellie’s. It’s a cocktail.
• Support Transformer, buy some cool art, drink some good drinks and dance the night away at Transformer’s Silent Auction & Benefit Party!
• We like BENT at 9:30 Club and we prefer most things spooky so we’re all for their Halloween themed edition: HellBENT.
• We always recommend Miss Adams Morgan day and we always will recommend it. Until the end of time.
• End your night with some cool tunes at Winelight at Eaton.
• Stay home and watch the atmospheric zombie horror film It Comes At Night on Amazon Prime Video.
• FREE PICK OF THE DAY: Our Saturday BB free show is Catherine Cohen at The Kennedy Center. You’re welcome.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our DC BRUNCH GUIDE. It’s useful. Show it to your young friends.
Leaving the house?
• Every Bentzen Ball features a charity. This year it’s World Central Kitchen. Give money to a great cause and enjoy brunch at The Bentzen Ball Comedy Festival Presents: Belly Laughs – A COMEDY BRUNCH at CHERRY in the W Hotel DC.
• Help save animals and drink delicious beer at the same time at Solace Brewing Company‘s PAWS VEGAS event. They’ll be teaming up with the Lost Dog & Cat Rescue Foundation.
• Halloween season means one-off cover bands! Make the most of the fun gimmick and support Girls Rock DC at Slash Run’s Hellraiser Fundraiser.
• Join the ladies from RuPaul’s Drag Race at their Werq the World tour at The Anthem.
• Wish our friends at 730DC a happy birthday at The Dew Drop Inn.
• The very good DIIV are at Black Cat.
• Stay home and watch the Lovecraftian Irish horror comedy Grabbers on Hulu.
• FREE PICK: We’re closing Bentzen Ball with a free show, Bentzen Belles, at The Kennedy Center. You’re welcome.
THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT CALENDAR PAGES, so use it and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Until next time…