Hey DC! Looking for things to do this weekend? BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress. Connie Britton, whose performance in Dirty John seals her as the queen of our TV heart, is the theme.
• It’s cold. Go ice skating.
• You can’t go back in time but you can go to The National Building Museum’s newest exhibition Flickering Treasures: Rediscovering Baltimore’s Forgotten Theaters.
• Miracle on Seventh Street is now open. Look at photos while you wait in line.
• Our Inside the Artist Studio series continues with Riley Sheehey.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
Let’s still try
• BrewLights! At the ZooLights!
• The National Air and Space Museum hosts a screening of Anna and the Apocalypse in the Lockheed Martin IMAX Theater, followed by a party with drinks, food, zombie face painting and photo backdrop.
• Some of us will be at the Travis Scott concert at Capital One Arena.
• Some of us will be at the YBN Takeour Tour with YBN Nahmir, YBN Almighty Jay, YBN Cordae at Fillmore Silver Spring.
• There’s a big Christmas tree in Union Station and it’s getting lit tonight! Yo-Yo Ma will perform too!
• Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds play 9:30 Club.
• Petworth Citizen is breaking out their absinthe fountain for the last time in 2018!
• Buy everyone on your holiday shopping list something from the NPR store. Save money at the NPR store during NPR’s Holiday Shopping Happy Hour.
• Black Squirrel is now Seasons & Sessions.
• The Line hosts a free screening of Rumble: The Indians Who Rocked the World followed by a Q&A with Nayan Bhula of The NRIs and Chris Turner, curator of the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian.
• FREE PICK: Eaton Workshop hosts a free concert featuring Ariana, Winston Yu and Saleiman Azizi celebrating the release of We Came Home.
• The Thom Yorke brings his show to The Kennedy Center.
• Christkindlmarkt is back at Heurich House! Grab a beer and start shopping.
• Dance to some rock n’ roll and raise some money for Rhizome at the same damn time.
• The Freer After Five film series continues with Dare to Stop Us.
• Flasher headlines Black Cat.
• Wunder Garten’s Winterfest begins tonight.
• Learn how to look at art at “How to Look at Art” at the Hirshhorn.
• Weston Smith, C.R. Gennone and Cosmic Halitosis play The Pinch.
• FREE PICK: Dr. Michael Anderegg discusses the history of King John on screen at Folger’s Free Folger Friday.
Do some daytime stuff:
• Peruse the Native Art Market at the American Indian Museum.
• Hit up the House of Sweden for their annual holiday market. We do recommend telling friends and relatives that you flew all the way to Sweden for their gifts.
• Then swing by the Dio Wine Bar for their Latinx Holiday Market.
• Then go to the Petworth Art & Craft Fair.
• New Columbia Distillers is finally releasing their whiskey! Are there any gin / whiskey cocktails? There should be.
• Nationals Winterfest kicks off today. I miss baseball.
• MetroCooking DC also kicks off today. I don’t miss cooking. Cooking season is 365 days a year.
• Send someone flowers:
• Somebody go to Kurt Vile at 9:30 Club and buy that skateboard.
• Celebrate the opening of Georgetown’s GLOW Light Art Festival by taking selfies with the art.
• Rock against ICE with some of your favorite local hardcore / punk bands at St. Stephen’s. I saw I Against Eye at Slash Run once, and let me tell you, it was an experience.
• We like Soccer Mommy at Black Cat. Come back to BYT Friday for our interview with Soccer Mommy.
• MXDC Cocina Mexicana kicks off their 25 tequilas of Christmas.
• Band we like, Caustic Casanova, has an EP release show at a brewery we like, Atlas.
• WHY? plays Alopecia at U Hall.
• Soak up some “jazzy and acid house & disco” at a mysterious warehouse in NE D.C. It’ll make you feel young again.
• FREE PICK OF THE DAY: The holiday boat parade is your reason to go to The Wharf. Who doesn’t love a good house boat?
For your viewing pleasure:
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our SHINY NEW UPDATED DC BRUNCH GUIDE.
Leaving the house?
• Happy first night of Hanukkah! Celebrate at Sababa.
• Go eat your weight in latkes at The Green Zone.
• Pentatonix’s holiday tour comes to The Anthem.
• Enjoy some seasonal tea service at The Hay-Adams.
• Flint Eastwood is at U Hall.
• The Bombay Club celebrates 30 years this December. It’s December! Congrats, Bombay Club!
• If you’d rather eat too much chocolate than the appropriate amount of Indian food, head to the Annapolis Chocolate Binge Festival.
• Justin Townes Earle plays Birchmere.
• Emmylou Harris is at The Hamilton. Good night for guitar music.
• FREE PICK: Day 2 of the 2018 American Holiday Festival is at DAR. America! Holdidays!
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT CALENDAR PAGES, so use it and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Until next time, don’t forge: