Hey DC! Looking for things to do this weekend? This week’s selection of events in BEST WEEKEND BETS are, as always, hand picked and carefully calibrated for maximum fun, minimum stress. As your theme: BILL HADER, because Barry and because Bill Hader is always a good idea.
• NEXT WEEK: National Air and Space Museum + BYT + Yuri’s Night Present 2001: A Space Party! Saturday, April 7 @ Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum (the most popular museum in the world)! Open Bars! Amazing Music! The life size replica of the room at the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey! IT WILL SELL OUT – so use this as a pro tip and grab yours now.
All sorts of great stuff:
• Hundreds of thousands of people came to D.C. last weekend for March For Our Lives. We have hundreds of photos.
• Did you get Hamilton tickets? You did not get Hamilton tickets. Here’s what you can do with the money you were going to spend on Hamilton tickets.
• We had some words with Split This Rock’s Joseph Green. That makes it seems like we had a fight. We did not. Split This Rock works spoken word and poetry.
• We went inside Maggie O’Neill’s studio. It’s an interesting chat with great photos.
• Roseanne is back. We’re glad Roseanne and Dan Conner are back.
SOCIAL MEDIA BONUS: tag all your Instagram stuff #BYThings (@brightestyoungthings) and get a chance to shine on OUR Instagram feed too.
You look great!
• Mari Andrew is at Sixth & I for her new book Am I There Yet: The Loop-de-Loop, Zig-Zagging Journey to Adulthood.
• The very funny Rory Scovel begins a run at the DC Improv.
• Den-Mate, Oh, Rose and Witch Coast are at Comet Ping Pong.
• Cinematsuri continues with a screening of Love and Goodbye and Hawaii at E Street Cinema.
• BRNDA has a tape release show at Dew Drop Inn.
• Necrot, Skullshitter, Coffin Dust, Perpetuated are at Atlas Brew Works. This is not a cherry blossom event. This is a metal show.
• Mohsin Hamid talks about his novel Exit West with NPR’s Steve Inskeep at Sidwell Friends.
• A People’s Choir sing-a-long meets at DC9.
• FREE PICK: Awesome Con begins tomorrow The Library of Congress is once again presenting special satellite programming. Tonight Library of Congress and DC Entertainment Celebrate 80 Years of Superman with Paul Levitz and Dan Jurgens.
• BALTIMORE PICK: Home opener for the O’s! Baseball!
• The Burning Man inspired No Spectators exhibit opens at the Renwick. Check out our first look photos. You will want to see this exhibit.
• Awesome Con begins today! Three days of nerd everything! Read our interview with Boy Meets World/Girl Meets World/actual world Will Friedle.
• Eternal Summers and Prism Tats (what a great name!) play Comet Ping Pong.
• The Fab Four play Warner Theatre. It’s not The Beatles. The Beatles no longer exist. It’s a Beatles tribute bands. Many, many, many Beatles tribute bands exist.
• REI hosts a co-op Member Jam
• Black Cat hosts a Beyonce vs Rihanna dance party.
• If you’re looking for a late night comedy show go to Drafthouse Comedy for Attack of the Comics.
• It’s opening weekend at Six Flags. Cool?
• FREE PICK: The Full Service Party at Songbyrd is no cover. We like Full Service Radio. Did you know we have a show on Full Service Radio? We do!
• BALTIMORE PICK: Jimmy Buffet plays Royal Farms Arena. Go for the tailgating. It’s a spectacle.
Do some daytime stuff:
• Our favorite Cherry Blossom Festival event is the annual Blossom Kite Festival. It’s today on the National Mall. Hope for wind and sun. Come back Monday for photos.
• Go see Isle of Dogs.
• The Capital BrewFest Blossom Bash is at Union Market.
• It’s a good day to check out Sakura Yume at ARTECHOUSE.
• The WOMXN X ART Artist Talk and Closing reception is in the afternoon at The Lemon Collective.
• Go home, practice some moves before tonight
• Bustin’ Loose, a dance competition, party, and tribute to DC dance and music, is at the U Line Arena. This is the most D.C. thing you can do this weekend. It does not involve the cherry blossoms.
• Rogue Wave celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Asleep at Heaven’s Gate at Black Cat.
• The Friends of the National Arboretum host their Blue Moon 5k Fun Run.
• Fuzzqueen plays Slash Run.
• Celebrate the late, great Selena at Haydees for their Anything for Salinas birthday celebration.
• Dashboard Confessional play Fillmore Silver Spring. We’re recommending it for opener Beach Sland.
• FREE PICK OF THE DAY: Shout Bamalama returns to Haydees. Dance!
• BALTIMORE PICK: The Bodega Boys are at the Meyerhoff.
• Looking for some good new brunches to try? Check out our food section.
For your viewing pleasure:
• Spend your weekend revisiting …..
• Not sure what to see in the theater? Check out our film section for reviews.
Leaving the house?
• It’s Easter Sunday. Here’s your Easter Sunday brunch round up.
• Look at the cherry blossoms, or trees that will soon have blooming cherry blossoms, from a kayak.
• Last day of Awesome Con. Come back Monday for our coverage.
• Now that you’ve seen Isle of Dogs, adopt a dog.
• Episode 2 of Barry airs on HBO.
• FREE PICK: Granny & The Boys make you feel good about the world at Showtime.
• BALTIMORE PICK: Edward Scissorhands make you feel like a teenager about the world at The Senator.
And just like that, the weekend is over. How do you feel about that?
PHEW. THAT WAS A LOT. BUT: THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO DO LISTED IN THE BYT CALENDAR PAGES, so use it and if you think we may have missed something, comment away–you know you want to. NO EXCUSES.
Till next time, practice your reaction shots:
CORRECTION: We’d like to apologize for spelling Selena Salina. The name of the event is “Anything for Salinas: A Selena Celebration”.